Thread: system76 panp9 sudden fail

Beans

system76 panp9 sudden fail

Hello everyone,

I have a question about troubleshooting. I have a system 76 PanP9 that kept getting hard and harder to turn on. Finally, it started the on/off thing common to bad power buttons. Basically, I would press the "on" and the LED lights, fan, and cd-rom would make noise as if it was going to boot—for about .25 seconds. Literally, no sooner had I tried to turn it on than it was shutting back down. Believing it to be a short in the power button, I cleaned that etc. It didn't help.

IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

So, last night in a state of "I am so screwed, I cannot afford a new computer OR to replace the Adobe software in my windows VM," I was messing around and checking RAM sticks. I have three RAM sticks a 4gb stick that came with the computer and two 8 gb sticks that I replaced the 4 with. I know all three worked and I cannot imagine why the 4 would be bad since it has literally just been in an antistatic bag. Well, finally I just left the RAM out. If I leave the RAM out, the power button seems to work and the LED light indicating it is "on" never goes off. Is this a sign of bad RAM and/or bad RAM slots?

mrdoldrum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: system76 panp9 sudden fail

Moved to the System76 Support sub-forum.

Beans

Hello,

I didn't think this really needed to go in the System76 section. Does it really belong here? I mean, yes the issue is on a system76 machine, but my question is a general hardware question: is the fact that the computer immediately shuts down when attempting to boot with the RAM installed, and never powers down with the RAM is not installed indicative of a RAM specific issue.

mrdoldrum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As per requested moved to the Hardware sub-forum.

@mrdoldrum: I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Beans

Hello,

I didn't meant to be a jerk about it slickymaster. I wasn't really meaning this should go back to hardware, as much as I was indirectly asking if you thought it should stay in system76 or not. Anyway, not sure if you thought I was being argumentative, but I want to just assure you that I was not meaning to.

mrdoldrum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mrdoldrum View Post
    Hello,

I didn't meant to be a jerk about it slickymaster. I wasn't really meaning this should go back to hardware, as much as I was indirectly asking if you thought it should stay in system76 or not. Anyway, not sure if you thought I was being argumentative, but I want to just assure you that I was not meaning to.

mrdoldrum
    No problem. You raised a perfect valid point.