Thread: installing Christian Ubuntu

Beans

installing Christian Ubuntu

Tomorrow I will receive a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed. Is it possible to install Christian Ubuntu over this, or do I need to uninstall the regular Ubuntu first? I'd really appreciate your take on this.

Thanks

David

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: installing Christian Ubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu Christian Edition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by david206 View Post
    Tomorrow I will receive a laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed. Is it possible to install Christian Ubuntu over this, or do I need to uninstall the regular Ubuntu first? I'd really appreciate your take on this.

Thanks

David
    Ubuntu Christian Edition can be installed straight over the top (there is no such thing as "uninstalling" an operating system).

When you boot the Ubuntu CE disc and choose Install, you will be given the option of erasing Ubuntu and installing Ubuntu CE.

However, remember that Ubuntu CE is just regular Ubuntu with a few added apps. You can simply install those apps from Ubuntu Software Center. That may in fact be better, because the copy of Ubuntu you have may be slightly modified to run better on that computer. Ubuntu CE would not have those modifications.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Thank you 3rdalbum

I used Ubuntu CE for a short time when I lived in Egypt five years ago, and would like to get back to it. I plan on making presentations with the laptop for various charities such as anti-trafficking and leprosy mission.

I will take your advice. Where can I find the Software Center with the added apps? Sorry to ask dumb questions but I'm a newbie at this.

I know I'll need the Open Office equivalent of PowerPoint, and VLC media player.

I appreciate your help.

David

Beans

If I install Christian Ubuntu, will it remove or change any of the data or settings that I have already on my Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

if you delete /home yes unless you system was setup with a separate /home you would end up loosing your settings
    it would be easier to just install the added packages, if someone could post a list you could just install them from the command line or the software center
    this will get you 2 of the applications that come in the ce edition
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xiphos openlp
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by david206 View Post

Thanks

David
    Hello David,

There currently is no way to do what you ask, IE: no meta package yet. If you are only interested in the applications found within UCE then i would suggest merely installing them but if you want the whole UCE experience than you will need to do a fresh install of the OS. The latest UCE includes Dansguardian installed, custom artwork and handful of new applications with some bugs worked out. If you run across issue please feel free to post here.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans