Thread: 14.04 - digital camera not mounting since updates

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

14.04 - digital camera not mounting since updates

For some reason, with some update(s) that have come in the last week or 2, my digital camera no longer mounts so I can use it. In syslog there are a number of entries for each of the times I tried to use it last night until I gave up, went to Windows - it was recognized right away - so I could post some photos I needed to post. So, after getting those posted, I thought I'd try now to figure out what is going on. I've seen at least 1 other recent thread on this same problem.

My log always has this error message:

Code:
    May  4 03:24:31 davelaptop mtp-probe: bus: 3, device: 16 was not an MTP device
    What I've seen on the net is as if ubuntu thinks it supposed to be an Android device. It's just a "dumb" older Kodak digital camera. To top it off, my true Android tablets all mount fine.

Anyone have any information on this?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: 14.04 - digital camera not mounting since updates

maybe try reverting the updates and see what broke it? Was it something that you updated on purpose?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No special updates - all the pushed updates from Ubuntu. I don't want to go through reversing them as I have no easy way to know which one might affect another and thereby cause me more problems, and I sure don't want to back them all out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, it's still not mounting even after some updates. It used to mount fine and this just started in 14.04. Here's a snippet of syslog when the camera is plugged in and turned on:
    Code:
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop kernel: [ 1733.117649] usb 3-3: new full-speed USB device number 3 using ohci-pci
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop kernel: [ 1733.316743] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=040a, idProduct=05d1
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop kernel: [ 1733.316760] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop kernel: [ 1733.316769] usb 3-3: Product: KODAK EASYSHARE C182 Digital Camera
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop kernel: [ 1733.316778] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: Eastman Kodak Company
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop kernel: [ 1733.316785] usb 3-3: SerialNumber: C182 020552828
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop mtp-probe: checking bus 3, device 3: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb3/3-3"
    May  9 21:57:12 davelaptop mtp-probe: bus: 3, device: 3 was not an MTP device
    Perhaps something got changed in the default udev rules.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What happens if you remove the media card and insert it into media hub or built in MMC port? Will the card mount and show up as a removable drive, so you can use file manager to get your photos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That works as always - I've never had a problem with recognizing the cards in the reader or USB devices. Even my external USB drive is mounting ok (I thought it wasn't, but I was incorrect). It appears, for my case at least, that the camera is not mounting. Looking in /lib/udev I found some things I don't remember seeing the last time I checked udev (probably about 12.04) - the hwdb.d being one. Some of these are for gphoto, where my camera was not in either list. I added it to the list but apparently it's either not in the actual database, or it's not getting that far. Since it's still reporting it is not a valid mtp device. I changed 75-probe_mtd.rules to just go to the end so it doesn't do anything - still doesn't mount.

I really think this is something that has changed in udev or what ever the probing for mtd does. I just don't have a clue at the moment on how to prove it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hey, I don't know squat about opening or posting or what ever in launchpad. Can someone tell me how to report this problem on launchpad as it is obviously a 14.04 problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for that link. I added myself to the affected list and also commented on my experiences.

I can't mark this as solved, since it isn't, but I will leave it inactive until more is known.

For those with this same type of problem who are reading this thread: the link that JeQhdMD posted to launchpad also includes a work around. You'll need to do some reading in that thread. Remember it is a work around, not a solution, so it may seem a little awkward having to do it each time you want to access your camera. I won't duplicate it here because it needs to stay centralized in the bug report thread.