Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharing files between Windows & Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Sharing files between Windows & Ubuntu

windows 7 disables SMB with servers who use keys of lesser strength. you need to enable the use of lesser strength keys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

My suggestion is to try opening a free account (up to 2GB) with spideroak. Then create a shared room.

https://spideroak.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    So I installed SAMBA on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine and it works great with my Windows Vista laptop. I can share files between both computers.

I tried setting SAMBA up on Ubuntu 14.04 to be able to share files over the network that is mostly Windows 7, but it doesn't work. It keeps asking me for a password to the workgroup. Help please!
    It should give the option of "remember password forever" or something like that when you enter your password
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

But there is no password for the workgroup.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am sorry if this not a very definite response, but try either your host computer's password, your client's password or your SAMBA password. I am not sure which it is but one will work. You did configure SAMBA and set up a password right?
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 31st, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans

I really do try to keep out the samba part of this forum these days but .....

It's not clear from your posts who's doing what to who.
    I tried setting SAMBA up on Ubuntu 14.04 to be able to share files over the network that is mostly Windows 7, but it doesn't work. It keeps asking me for a password to the workgroup.
    You install the samba package to create a Samba server on the Linux box to share files to others on the lan. Has nothing to do with accessing some other machines shares. That subset of the samba suite is installed by default in Ubuntu. So who is getting the request for a password? The Windows machine when you access the Linux box? Or the Linux box when you access the Windows machine?

Oh and btw, does samba/smb itself work? Not this browsing stuff but samba itself:

From the Windows box open Run and see if you can access the linux samba server by ip address. For example:
    Code:
    \\192.168.0.100
    From the Linux box access the Windows machine by ip address:
    Code:
    nautilus smb://192.168.0.101
    If Windows won't display it's shares it's likely because it has no idea who the hell your are. So pass a user name - not just any user name but one that exists on the Windows box - when you do the command. Something like this:
    Code:
    nautilus smb://morbius@192.168.0.101
    Where morbius is an actual login user on the Windows box.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Perhaps less obvious in setup, but very platform independent since it uses https is Owncloud. I use an Owncloud server and accessing it from Windows is either like Dropbox or via a browser. It's platform independent and Mac or Android is supported. And one avoids a proprietary and legacy protocol. Ok, it's a bit more work to get it started - mysql, apache, https - but once that's done it has a lot of advantages. (One of them being that that the password is clearly defined)

Beans

Can't say enough good things about a good old fashion http server especially for large file transfers which choke just about every other protocol.

Never used OwnCloud but I use a temporary http server often by invoking the python module so there's no configuration and then copy stuff via a browser on the client. Easy peasy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12