Thread: 14.04 Higher Temps???

Beans

14.04 Higher Temps???

Hi,

I upgraded to 14.04 from 13.10.

Lately I've noticed the temperature of my computer hovers around 55-60 C. Is this acceptable? I also noticed this is about 15 degrees higher than when I was running 13.10.

Does anyone have any input on this? Should I be concerned?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by cessanfrancisco; May 5th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 14.04 Higher Temps???

What is and is not acceptable depends somewhat on the machine -- and there are some adjustments that might benefit some machines.

Could you provide us with the details of your machine?

Best wishes.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I am using a Lenovo Z580 with an Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4; Intel® Ivybridge Mobile; 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you experience any particular part of that Lappy to be heating up more than it was before the update? Statistically speaking that temperature range is fine but you should keep an eye on it if it gets alarmingly high with particular process or in particular area (especially HDD since if my memory serves me right, it doesn't have a vent for it).

Beans

@Goten007
    Thanks for the input. I don't recall any area inparticular getting especially warm prior to the upgrade to 14.04. Although, now, I do notice the area where the HDD is located does get a bit warm but not alarmingly so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can specifically check temp's by using software like CPUID, not sure if it works on Linux directly but you can probably google it. Or maybe someone here can suggest something similar counterpart for Linux.

Beans

Thanks! I have lm-sensors and tlp installed. They both seem to work pretty good.

Beans

Use htop to make sure the CPU is not loaded and make sure the CPU is throttling down when idle (look at cpufreq-info).

The other possibility is that there has been a change in kernel to run fan slower at idle. As long as the fan ramps up under load, it's not a big deal.