Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use (X,K,L)Ubuntu as your one an only OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Do you use (X,K,L)Ubuntu as your one an only OS?

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Kubuntu on my main machine, Crunchbang on my old laptop. Havent used Windows in nearly four years.
    Still on Kubuntu raring, or just not updated the profile info ?
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans

I use Xubuntu (Precise) on my "old faithful" main desktop, and PCLinuxOS' Xfce spin on another desktop. I think I'm going to be forced to use Windows - virtually at least - in my next college class. I have been Windows-free for three years.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    ... do you use Ubuntu (or Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, U-Gnome) as your one and only operating system?...
    I have used Xubuntu and Lubuntu in the past on some old computers that I no longer have. My current computers all run Ubuntu, and can run VMs of any OS/distro I want to try or need to use.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I could use Ubuntu 14.04 on my Asus laptop, I meet the system requirements comfortably and I've tried it but Xubuntu and the XFCE offers you the cake, the icing and all unlimited without getting fat! It's visually appealing yet lightweight.

And cairo-dock works magic with it. I put a nice sidebar to the left, just like Ubuntu. That's pretty cool, it's Ubuntu and the power horse behind it in the Canonical-Buntu family, yet a lightwieght and stable OS without the bells and whistles that takes ressources away.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; May 5th, 2014 at 03:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have Ubuntu Gnome on my laptop and HTPC but have Ubuntu/Win7 on my desktop (separate drives). When I get time I will switch Ubuntu with UG and one day ditch the Win7.
    Registered Linux User #372124

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Erik1984 View Post
    Still on Kubuntu raring, or just not updated the profile info ?
    Updated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've got Ubuntu 14.04LTS as the only OS on my new netbook, which came with Linpus. It is also now the only OS on two systems that were originally XP, then dual boot. I wiped the XP partitions a month or two ago. My main system has 14.04LTS, but is still dual boot with Win7P (which is came with). I need something that can adjust the settings for my APC 550 UPS. I try to remember to boot in Win mode once a month just to run updates. I admit I am also afraid to let go of my final Win security blanket.

I suppose I could run a Windows virtual machine if I knew how, but the current solution works fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes and no.

Xubuntu has become my OS of choice on my main machines, but my little eee-pc 701 is running Crunchbang although I am thinking it would be fun to install a minimal Ubuntu and set up my own openbox configuration for it. My other laptop is used to install a wide variety of operating systems purely for fun and to see what they are like. I'm currently thinking of putting one of the BSDs on it.
    There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who finish what they started and

Hey! That's the wrong punchline!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
    I need something that can adjust the settings for my APC 550 UPS.
    Install the apcupsd package. It can manage your UPS and tell other machines on your network about the device's status. When the power goes off for an extended period of time, all your machines will shut down gracefully. You can specify the settings for the UPS in apcupsd.conf.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks, I've installed apcupsd and apcupsd-cgi and am reading the manpage and playing around with the various config options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12