Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying out Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Trying out Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

Something I don't like in GNOME Shell: Truncated application names in the Activities overview. Not a big deal, but kinda annoying sometimes.

shell-overview.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm wanting to try this out, just haven't found the personal time in my busy life to install it quite yet.

Is it better to just download and install Ubuntu Gnome over Ubuntu 14.04? Or should I install the Gnome DE?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tmette View Post
    I'm wanting to try this out, just haven't found the personal time in my busy life to install it quite yet.

Is it better to just download and install Ubuntu Gnome over Ubuntu 14.04? Or should I install the Gnome DE?
    Fresh clean install of UG is recommended if you've no interest in Unity just in case you get bored with UG. But like I said, it is same under the hood, so it isn't exactly bad to have more options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I use Ubuntu-Gnome as well. I only have one complaint and it's minor but still an irritant and may provide an insight to the mindset at gnome. The method of suspending a desktop machine is pretty counter intuitive to me. What other frequently used function requires a modifier key? Previous gnome shell installs supported the alternative status menu extension which worked very well. The powers-that-be at gnome seem to have removed that extension for 3.10. Why? I have no idea. I've read they feel that a 'suspend' menu item is not required, just close the laptop lid. Not using a laptop? Too bad for me. I can deal with alt-click on the power button.
    Oh, thanks -- I didn't know about pressing the alt key while clicking on the power button in the menu. Does seem kind of dumb that you have to press alt, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tmette View Post

Download the ISO first and try it live with a USB/DVD and see if you want to go any further with first. I do enjoy Ubuntu Gnome and if you feel the same then worry about how to install it add to what you have.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

I have to say, the Ubuntu Gnome Team is doing a nice job fixing bugs! I noticed today that "Details" has been fixed just like they said it would! I had made the mistake of updating Gnome Shell from the staging ppa in the past, big mistake... Upgrading broke several apps including Synaptic. I might give it another try when the newer version of Gnome Shell makes it into the stable ppa.

For now though, my laptop is running perfectly so I will leave well enough alone.

Beans
    Distro

There's relief for the silly 'alt' key to suspend business. A new extension for 3.10 called "replace system alt switcher" by emilio.sanchez. It seems to do what it claims and I'm not aware of any associated problems. I'd like to see Gnome make this part of the default extensions package and no I'm not holding my breath. I hope the developer will make it available for 3.12 as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All this talk about Gnome has made me install gnome on one of my test partitions, and tell you what? I like it. I wish I could figure out how to get system monitor in top panle working but apart from that it looks amazing :3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    There's relief for the silly 'alt' key to suspend business. A new extension for 3.10 called "replace system alt switcher" by emilio.sanchez. It seems to do what it claims and I'm not aware of any associated problems. I'd like to see Gnome make this part of the default extensions package and no I'm not holding my breath. I hope the developer will make it available for 3.12 as well.
    If you use GDM as your login manager, there are three options when you finish your session.

Left icon > Settings
    Middle icon > Suspend (even with open applications)
    Right Icon > Power Off etc.

I used to have an extension in Gnome 3.4 (Ubuntu 12.04) to alter the shutdown behaviour, but now I find it is no longer needed in Gnome 3.10 (Ubuntu 14.04)

Using LDM (Ubuntu default), the middle icon is missing if you are in a Gnome Shell session.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    If you use GDM as your login manager, there are three options when you finish your session.

Left icon > Settings
    Middle icon > Suspend (even with open applications)
    Right Icon > Power Off etc.

I used to have an extension in Gnome 3.4 (Ubuntu 12.04) to alter the shutdown behaviour, but now I find it is no longer needed in Gnome 3.10 (Ubuntu 14.04)

Using LDM (Ubuntu default), the middle icon is missing if you are in a Gnome Shell session.
    I thought GDM was the default with gnome-shell. I'll have to check into it. Thanks. By default I have 3 choices on the system menu: settings, lock (padlock icon) and power switch. The above extension adds a 4th icon, the same pause/suspend button that pressing the <alt> key while hovering over the power icon shows .

Edit: On this install of Ubuntu-Gnome GDM is installed, LDM is not. There used to be an alternate menu extension included in the default gnome-shell-extensions package. It was removed by Gnome in 3.10.
    Last edited by kurt18947; June 3rd, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast