Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Replace Fedora" replaced everything

Beans

"Replace Fedora" replaced everything

I attempted to install 14.04 alongside my Windows partition and selected the "replace fedora" option, but it ended up wiping my entire hard drive and installing Ubuntu. I don't have a Windows disk to reinstall, so I am losing access to some software that I have paid for and also will have to tinker around to hopefully get all my hardware working.. I do know how to survive in Linux, but this is irritating.

Beans

Re: "Replace Fedora" replaced everything

Did it overwrite your Windows parttion or just blank it out.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

just do a virtual windows; its better than a dual boot.

Beans

If it said "replace fedora" that means it only saw fedora then of course it would wipe everything. When you have complex configurations always choose manual install ('something else')

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    just do a virtual windows; its better than a dual boot.
    +1. I would much prefer dual booting with Fedora then Windows, much simpler to set up and maintain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh, looks like you experience something similar. Never pick replace option even if there is just single Linux on HD. I did that last time and I was expecting my partition scheme to be intact and just simple format and install of the drives used by previous version. But it took entire HD and only made 2 partitions (swap & root, and in that I think swap was taken from last scheme).

Lesson to be learned: Always go with ''something else'' in gpart or whichever tool you've been provided in installation process.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

there is a bug report and lots of complaints.
    But may be a Windows is hibernated or fast boot issue so that Linux cannot 'see' the Windows install to even know to keep it.
    Reinstall says overwrite Ubuntu but it also erases existing Windows.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1265192
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    +1. I would much prefer dual booting with Fedora then Windows, much simpler to set up and maintain.
    I never dual boot - too much wasted HD space, plus installation headaches as one can see from this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RichardET View Post
    I never dual boot - too much wasted HD space, plus installation headaches as one can see from this thread.
    The headaches mainly come from trying to dual boot with Windows, especially Win8. I triple, multiple boot with other Linux distros and it is easy as a piece of cake (except for OpenSuse) MicroSoft doesn't like dualboot and tries to do everything to discourage it, so I comply and just remove Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I always make system restore disks / images of my Windows installations.

Not only does it allow you to restore Windows without a disk, but if you make the image with all your system setup it saves so much time.

Don't worry. I accidentally wiped my backup drive a few months ago. Luckily I had an emergency backup in a draw in another room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast