Thread: Hide Firefox Open Menu Button?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Hide Firefox Open Menu Button?

Hey guys, I took the leap of faith and upgraded to Firefox 29 which includes the new UI. I was pleasantly surprised because I actually like it and I have been able to restore the previous layout I had EXCEPT for that new "Open Menu" button....If you don't know what I am talking about, it's this button (far right corner);

The ironic thing is that it is the very button you use to customize your layout but it seems you can't remove/hide the button itself?? Does anyone have a workaround to remove/hide it from view maybe via about:config? I feel the button is unncessary and takes up screen real estate needlessly because all the functionality it "provides" I already access (and preffer to access) via the top menu bars.

Beans

Re: Hide Firefox Open Menu Button?

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    ... Does anyone have a workaround to remove/hide it from view ...
    You can do so using CSS:
    Code:
    /* AGENT_SHEET */ 
    @namespace xul url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#PanelUI-menu-button { display: none !important; }
    The first line, /* AGENT SHEET */, may or may not be needed.
    The code goes in ~/.mozilla/firefox/your_profile/chrome/userChrome.css or into a Stylish sheet.

Of course, if you install CTR, you can remove it by simply right-clicking on it and choosing "Remove from toolbar"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the tip vasa!

Am I wrong to assume though that this manual change will get overwritten every time I update Firefox in the future? Specifically if any changes are made to user profile styling/formatting. I saw that addon but didn't want to install it because I actually like this new UI design as I mentioned and only have this minor gripe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d4m1r View Post
    Am I wrong to assume though that this manual change will get overwritten every time I update Firefox in the future? Specifically if any changes are made to user profile styling/formatting. ...
    I answered your question as Firefox exists today
    But, in the "normal" course of events, an update to Firefox should not alter the contents of userChrome.css. Of course, it's possible that Firefox devs may decide that userChrome.css is a danger and remove it The way Firefox is "evolving" anything is possible.