Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Unreal Tournament In The Works, Will It See A Native Linux Version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New Unreal Tournament In The Works, Will It See A Native Linux Version?

Some hot news today is that Epic Games is working on a next-gen Unreal Tournament and it's not out of the realm of possibility that it will see a Linux client since Unreal Engine 4.1+ now officially supports Linux.
    I sure hope it does come to Linux, would be a crying shame if it didn't!

News: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/new-unreal-tournament-in-the-works-will-it-see-a-native-linux-version.3617

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Unreal Tournament In The Works, Will It See A Native Linux Version?

Its got a massive chance as like you mentioned the new engine is on Linux. UT2004 runs great on Linux! I still play now and again! I think with the engine being on Linux that it won't take a massive effort to port the game to run on Linux!

Cannot wait!!!

MMMMMMMMMONSTER KILLLLLLLLLLLLL!
    Intel Core i5-2550K @ 3.4GHz
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX660 2048mb
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I vaguely remember that I quickly got bored of Unreal tournament, but also that Unreal was fun.
    So I hope for Unreal. We shall see on Thursday?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I will wait and see.
    I can't get sound working on 64-bit Linux with UT2004.
    And the next version after that (I forget the year), well, I bought a copy when they said a Linux installer would follow, but it never did. I gave that copy away eventually, unopened. After being conned once, I will be more cautious next time.

I would also like to see an updated Unreal, more than UT.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think a lot of the people would be happier with Unreal 3 than UT 4, but since Unreal II was a flop, I doubt we will see a successor. UT3 not being for Linux was sure a disappointment, but I really see no reason for the next version not being made for Linux.
    Youtube gaming channel dedicated to game bugs, glitches and tricks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

perhaps they should make a different SP&MP game using Unreal engine. and for the UT they should bring the stats back as they were before. i had to add a plugin to have them. and it's so good to read on past achievements.

Unreal game itself didn't really have a deep story. it just featured a player on strange (unreal) world trying to survive and escape. the game is actually more a demo for engine than anything else. kind of like Far cry. Only Far cry had a bit more story. perhaps that is why Unreal 2 didn't succeed.

as for new tournament game - while previous are still fun to play - if you compare them to Battlefield or Arma and similar - they just seem to miss something. these new MP games have larger maps, more players, more vehicles... i wonder what the new enigne can do. the demo looks nice but doesn't reveal that much. i am thinking to have success these days you need to have more than a nice looking game.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

IMO Unreal II failed because it was nowhere near the first Unreal. Unreal 1 was non-stop action with huge maps, but in Unreal II you moved slow like a snail and the maps were tiny, also the game had tons of clichés and terrible voice acting. The only positive things were improved Skaarj and graphics.

Beans

Part of Unreal 2's failure was that the publisher didn't want two unreal titles (UT2003 & Unreal 2) competing for mulptiplayer action so they forced U2 to remove MP! MP was then implemented as a patch with a new gametype "Expanded Multipleyer" XMP. It was also rushed, some levels/weapons/enemies/etc were cut.

Unreal 1 wasn't non-stop action. It had several areas with very limited action. It was more of an adventure game than a shooter, with the puzzles and all

UT3 was rubbish, with all the recycled gears of war content. It didn't feel Unreal at all. I hope for Unreal 3 (with Linux support) the "Tournament" could be a DLC, but fear for a mobile game.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

oh yes Unreal 1 had huge levels with little or no fighting. i guess also to showcase the engine. important for me it also had coop.

by the way wolfenstein also has coop and it's a lot of fun though you can't really lock the server propperly ingame. and there is not many servers available but you can always setup your own (the part i hate with modern games - with all the bandwidth nowadays abvailable i need to use someone elses server to play them )
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I partially agree on this for the outdoor maps, but not for the indoor ones. Also, although the outdoor maps were huge, I spent little time on them, because I dodge jumped all the time .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast