Thread: Enabling Gnome on secondary accounts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Enabling Gnome on secondary accounts

I'm sure this only needs a simple terminal command, but I don't want to experiment where I don't really know what I'm doing.

I'm using the Gnome desktop in Ubuntu 12.04, but when I create another "user" account, it reverts to Unity.

I've tried the software centre (center), but it tells me Gnome is already installed.

It's hardly a life-threatening situation. I'm the only person who uses this machine, but I use separate "accounts" (or "users") for different purposes, and would like to be able to use the Gnome desktop on those other accounts.

I'd appreciate any advice.

After today I'll be off-line for a couple of days, so please don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't respond immediately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Enabling Gnome on secondary accounts

When I switch users, it redirects me to the login screen.
    In the login screen, I click on the icon in the username/password box and change it to the other desktop environment.
    Once I do this, it stays like that, forever.
    Per each different user, whatever desktop I choose stays as that desktop for that user.

So as my main user uses unity, and always logins in as unity, my second user always logins into gnome(pick a version).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Enabling Gnome on secondary accounts

Thank you, deadflowr. I'd forgotten that little trick and had to think about it, but I've done it now. Thanks again.