Thread: Dell Studio 1555 on ElementaryOS can't connect to password protected wifi

Beans

Dell Studio 1555 on ElementaryOS can't connect to password protected wifi

So, I'm a networking and Ubuntu noob. I'm not entirely sure this is the appropriate place for ElementaryOS problems, but here it is. I'm running ElementaryOS on my Dell Studio 1555. I attempt to connect to my home WiFi. I'm prompted for a password or encryption key. The button to "Connect" is disabled unless the input password/key is 5 or 13 characters in length. I don't understand the reasoning for this. My password is greater than 14 characters. In editing the connection, I have the option to enter the key/passphrase, as seen below:

So, I logged into my router and got to this area:

I enter an arbitrary passphrase just to generate some keys. I then paste a key into the connection editor. It cycles and cycles, trying to connect but never does. What am I missing here? I'd be happy to return the results of any command in the terminal if that would help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dell Studio 1555 on ElementaryOS can't connect to password protected wifi

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums oberyn2 !

The only familiarity I have with Elementary OS is that I have heard its name, and now have also seen a screenshot of its connection manager (above one) , so not sure if I'm going to be able to help with it. What do these commands tell us -
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    sudo iwlist scan
    (replace 'sudo' with whatever equivalent you have in Elem.OS to run a command as root)

While posting the outputs, please use 'Code' tags. It preserves the output's formatting and makes the post cleaner, compact and more readable. To see a quick 'HowTo' with screenshots, please follow the "Use Code Tags" link in my signature.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell Studio 1555 on ElementaryOS can't connect to password protected wifi

Thread moved to the "Other OS/Distro Support" forum.