Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

An XP refugee and noob, I've just installed Trusty on 3 older Thinkpads (sole OS on an T60, and dual boot on two X60s). I did my research best I could, and have really enjoyed the process. Solving all the little problems that have come up - learning a lot. My data is well backed up, so I have the luxury of making mistakes ... and I'm makin' em.

One of the X60s showed serious boot problems (excruciatingly long boot time) and persistent slowness / freezes. If I were more knowledgeable, I'd probably have known how to do diagnostics, etc... but I didn't have the time or patience to learn this right now. So I reinstalled Trusty from the disc, making no changes in partitions.

I imagined that the NTFS partition would remain unchanged, that a reinstall "into" the original ubuntu partition would preserve my documents and most of my installed software, while reverting all settings to default.

What I found (and this may not be news to non-noobs) was that the initial install was not overwritten; rather, all extant files were given a separate 28 GB partition. And *another* partition was created for the new install. So I now have two 'Computer' directories (bin, boot...var). This was not clear to me in the diagram presenting the partitions via the install disc.

(a) is there any disadvantage to using GParted to delete the partitions containing the original install? There is nothing there that I need, and I'd prefer to have a 55 contiguous GB for Trusty. Clearly, I'd have to read up on partitions... (b) is the version of GParted available from the Software Center sufficient? (I have downloaded the ISO, but don't have a cd burner at the moment).

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: newbie's errors reinstalling 14.04, dual boot with XP

You usually cannot use a gparted on your working system as you have partitions mounted. I do install it but only work on another drive.
    You need to use a Live installer. It was on what ever installer you used if Ubuntu, not sure about all flavors.

But if you still have your live installer that will work.
    You also may have to click on swap and right click swap off. Installer in live mode likes to mount swap if found to speed things up a bit. And swap is often in the extended partition which in effect mounts the entire extended partition.

I generally do not like moving partitions left. It is slow as all data must be copied. And any interruption will totally corrupt data.

Be glad you do not have a new UEFI system. Reinstall on those just shows Ubuntu and users think they are overwriting just Ubuntu when the entire drive is overwritten. Not sure if Ubuntu installer, or user, but may be related to Windows 8 always in hibernation mode, so installer does not see it correctly.

Make sure you delete correct partition. Both installs probably used same swap.

Grub probably also includes old install. Second install should be the one in grub, so you do not have to update grub in MBR first. But it does not hurt to boot into install you want to keep and run this:

From inside your working install to have its grub boot loader in MBR of sda.
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda

After deleting older install. Boot back into working install and run this to remove old installs grub entry.
    sudo update-grub
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks so much, oldfred!

Does it make sense to delete all entries in old install (usr....var) before proceeding? I'd do it via GUI.

I'm not sure that the live cd gave the option of deleting a partition ... but I'll have a look. I had installed GParted via Software Center, and ... GParted made it look suspiciously easy to do...

(Fortunately, as I said ... I can afford to mess up. Everything is backed up.)

I'm going to read up on partitions ...but does deleting the Install #1 'partition wall' adjacent to new install automatically create the larger partition I'd wanted? Or are there no 'walls?' I guess I'm saying: how do I conceptualize a 'partition'? (I shouldn't be asking you to do my homework...)

Yeah, I'm kind of clueless. Thanks so much for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think the only auto partitioning change is the older auto install side by side. But any auto change has always scared me, so I use gparted in advance for all my installs and then use Something Else to choose partition mount and format. And I have managed to screw that up, by making several partitions, small for root and large for data and then forgetting which is which and installing to the large partition.
    Deleting a partition does not auto adjust other partitions. You have to manually move them around. And if one is primary and the other logical you may also have to resize the extended partition first. It become the old slide puzzle game. With gparted also do not queue events, but process each change, so you know that it completes before starting anther.

GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
    Screenshots of using gparted
    http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oldfred; May 2nd, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So far in the Linuxsphere, I've never made a mistake so big I couldn't recover from it ... but I think I've now blown it.

Using the Mini-Tool (Partition Wizard) on the installer cd, I went ahead and deleted what I ... am certain was the correct partition (before seeing oldfred's reply ... though I'm such an idiot, I don't think it would have helped me). But - clearly, I didn't do enough homework, and Grub Rescue is my reward. Can't boot. Now the 28GB apportioned to the original install is 'unallocated' (and, according to the ubuntu installer, 'unusable')

The only good thing is that - my data's all backed up.

I began to resize the partition on the 23GB allocated to the second install - I'd want to merge it with the 28GB of unallocated space - but I know I don't know what I'm doing. How to rescue myself?

Thanks for your patience...!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

small update - repaired MBR so I could boot into XP, made a series of other mistakes using the Partition Wizard Mini-Tool (I wish my install CD had come with GParted ...not that great software can stop me from making a mess) again unable to boot into either XP or Ubuntu. Back to the installer disc.

Extended NTFS partition to cover the unallocated space...booted with installer disc, and installed Boot Repair to boot back into Trusty.

Whew! I hate learning the hard way, but it seems to be the only way I learn.

Now I'm unable to boot into XP (and also would want to shrink the XP partition with GParted, once I have it).

My question now: how to boot into XP without messing up boot into Ubuntu?
    Last edited by andrea b; May 3rd, 2014 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Any resize of a Windows NTFS partition required a chkdsk before it will boot again. You only can run chkdsk from a Windows repair CD or the XP installer.
    Best to use Windows tools on Windows but only Linux tools with Linux.

Gparted is on the Ubuntu installer. Not sure about other flavors you easy to install if booted in live mode as it is in repository. Also you can download a gparted liveCD or Parted Magic liveCD.

Post link from Boot-Repair's BootInfo report.
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks so much, oldfred. The current status is: (not knowing I had to use chkdsk) I used Gparted to resize XP and Ubuntu partitions to where I want them; I can now boot into Ubuntu fine, but still can't boot into XP (no surprise). I did run bootinfo, and have a RESULTS.txt - is it ok to post this super-long thing? (I'm in the process of burning Boot-Repair iso to disc and running this.)

Thanks for your ... patience. (!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by andrea b View Post
    I did run bootinfo, and have a RESULTS.txt - is it ok to post this super-long thing? (I'm in the process of burning Boot-Repair iso to disc and running this.)
    yes it is allowed just wrap it in code tags (the # icon)

by the way - you are needlesly complicating a very simple install.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I only overcomplicate things the first time. And - I really appreciate your help. Here is the RESULTS.txt.

Code:
                      Boot Info Script 0.61      [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of 
        the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks 
        in partition 112 for .

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows XP: NTFS
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  Windows XP
        Boot files:        /boot.ini /NTLDR /NTDETECT.COM

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ext4
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info: 
        Operating System:  Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       Extended Partition
        Boot sector info: 

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector info: 

sda4: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  Windows XP: FAT32
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM /COMMAND.COM

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1               6,144   112,859,135   112,852,992   7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
    /dev/sda2    *    112,859,136   220,780,543   107,921,408  83 Linux
    /dev/sda3         220,782,529   224,954,367     4,171,839   f W95 Extended (LBA)
    /dev/sda5         220,782,592   224,954,367     4,171,776  82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda4         224,955,360   234,435,599     9,480,240   2 XENIX root

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/sda1        01CF66B029E22F00                       ntfs       Preload
    /dev/sda2        840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9   ext4       
    /dev/sda4        70EF-93F2                              vfat       SERVICEV001
    /dev/sda5        d04845a7-2b56-4a7f-bf85-21b2a10a5620   swap       
    /dev/sr0                                                iso9660    CDROM

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/sda2        /                        ext4       (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    /dev/sr0         /media/andrea/CDROM      iso9660    (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks2)

================================ sda1/boot.ini: ================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=========================== sda2/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
       set default="${next_entry}"
       set next_entry=
       save_env next_entry
       set boot_once=true
    else
       set default="0"
    fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
      menuentry_id_option="--id"
    else
      menuentry_id_option=""
    fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }
    function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }
    function load_video {
      if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
        insmod all_video
      else
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod ieee1275_fb
        insmod vbe
        insmod vga
        insmod video_bochs
        insmod video_cirrus
      fi
    }

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
       font=unicode
    else
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd0,msdos2'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2  840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9
    fi
        font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
    fi

if loadfont $font ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
      set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
      set lang=en_US
      insmod gettext
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
      set timeout=10
    else
      if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
        set timeout_style=menu
        set timeout=10
      # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
      # unavailable.
      else
        set timeout=10
      fi
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    if background_color 44,0,30; then
      clear
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    function gfxmode {
    	set gfxpayload="${1}"
    	if [ "${1}" = "keep" ]; then
    		set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
    	else
    		set vt_handoff=
    	fi
    }
    if [ "${recordfail}" != 1 ]; then
      if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
        if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
          if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
            set linux_gfx_mode=keep
          else
            set linux_gfx_mode=text
          fi
        else
          set linux_gfx_mode=text
        fi
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
    export linux_gfx_mode
    menuentry 'Ubuntu' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9' {
    	recordfail
    	load_video
    	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    	insmod gzio
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd0,msdos2'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2  840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9
    	else
    	fi
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9 ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
    }
    submenu 'Advanced options for Ubuntu' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9' {
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.13.0-24-generic-advanced-840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9' {
    		recordfail
    		load_video
    		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd0,msdos2'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9 ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff
    		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	}
    	menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.13.0-24-generic-recovery-840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9' {
    		recordfail
    		load_video
    		insmod gzio
    		insmod part_msdos
    		insmod ext2
    		set root='hd0,msdos2'
    		else
    		fi
    		echo	'Loading Linux 3.13.0-24-generic ...'
    		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9 ro recovery nomodeset 
    		echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    	}
    }

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry 'Memory test (memtest86+)' {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd0,msdos2'
    	else
    	fi
    	knetbsd	/boot/memtest86+.elf
    }
    menuentry 'Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)' {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ext2
    	set root='hd0,msdos2'
    	else
    	fi
    	linux16	/boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-01CF66B029E22F00' {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod ntfs
    	set root='hd0,msdos1'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1  01CF66B029E22F00
    	else
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 01CF66B029E22F00
    	fi
    	parttool ${root} hidden-
    	drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
    	chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry 'Windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sda4)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-70EF-93F2' {
    	insmod part_msdos
    	insmod fat
    	set root='hd0,msdos4'
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos4 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos4 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos4  70EF-93F2
    	else
    	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 70EF-93F2
    	fi
    	parttool ${root} hidden-
    	drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
    	chainloader +1
    }
    set timeout_style=menu
    if [ "${timeout}" = 0 ]; then
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
    if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
      source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
    elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
      source $prefix/custom.cfg;
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

=============================== sda2/etc/fstab: ================================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=840d7d90-0601-49a8-b8ae-d120c83544e9 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=d04845a7-2b56-4a7f-bf85-21b2a10a5620 none            swap    sw              0       0

=================== sda2: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

================================ sda4/boot.ini: ================================

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=C:\
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "PC-DOS"

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

cat: /tmp/BootInfo-OdkCPVzW/Tmp_Log: No such file or directory
    Thanks so much.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast