Thread: How to install Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2

Beans

Question How to install Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2

Hi there.

I have the latest upgrade from Ubuntu (14.04 32 bit) and have the Arduino Yun which means I can not use the Arduino IDE in the Ubuntu Software Centre (does not support the Yun board). I downloaded the the 32 bit file from the official website, I have followed the instructions on http://www.pluggy.me.uk/arduino-ubuntu/ and have installed:
    • Openjdk-7-jre
    • gcc-avr
    • avr-libc

I did not follow the dmesg section as this board is being programmed over wifi.
    When I rightclick on the executable text file and choose run as program, nothing happens. Opening it with Java doesn't do anything either.

I have no experience with makefile and always install from an apt link or software centre. I tried using the Windows version under wine which loads fine but no ports are vissible (on my windows computer I see the Arduino wifi access point there)

Is there a way for me to get this working or am I foced to rely on Bill Gates here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to install Arduino IDE 1.5.6-r2

Have you tried navigating to the file using the terminal and executing it there?

We can then see any errors the script may ouput.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

Hi Sandy.

To be honest I have no idea how to do that. The file is located in the folder /home/sebastiaan/Downloads/arduino-1.5.6-r2

when I type this in my terminal: sebastiaan@sebastiaan-Laptop:~$ /home/sebastiaan/Downloads/arduino-1.5.6-r2/arduino
    and press enter, nothing happens

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

try
    Code:
    cd /home/sebastiaan/Downloads/arduino-1.5.6-r2
    source arduino
    ./arduino
    Last edited by sandyd; May 2nd, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

Hi Sandy!

Thaks. Your code works excellent. The program started after using:
    cd /home/sebastiaan/Downloads/arduino-1.5.6-r2
    source arduino

I then right clicked on the icon and chose "Lock to launcher".
    The icon is now in my launcher but does not start the program when clicking on it.
    If its not to much to ask, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how to get the icon to work.

If not, than I'm still happy that I can start the program through the terminal.

Thanks in advance!
    Kind regards,
    Sebastiaan