Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Malware article

Beans

Linux Malware article

"The fact is that Windows 8 has pretty much caught up and is a good, secure system if used properly," he concluded. "Mac OSX is basically BSD at its core. So the only advantage Linux really has now is low market share (on the desktop). That is not a very powerful shield, so learning safe computing applies to us as well."

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/78748.html

Anyone want to poke holes in this thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Linux Malware article

Well, first you might want to remove or eschew Internet Explorer. At least they fixed it, and today MS even capitulated and agreed to fix IE on XP machines though support for XP has ended. But "just this once."
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 1st, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"... if used properly.." is the key phrase, and it applies to any OS.

Windows is attacked because that is where the money is. More attacks against more users who do not bother to update their systems means more reports of Windows losers.

The notion of determining which OS is inherently more secure is pointeless because it assumes we know the range and capabilities of the people attacking those systems. We don't, and we won't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    today MS even capitulated and agreed to fix IE on XP machines though support for XP has ended. But "just this once."
    Holy cow. I didn't think they would actually do that.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

/me wonders if this is a good time to trot out what could seem like cliches:
    • AV software and similar products are only as good as what they "know" to look for
    • Safe computing begins between the keyboard and the chair
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Holy cow. I didn't think they would actually do that.
    I am not sure I would call it capitulated.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; May 3rd, 2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Looked at wrong month on calendar :)
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jon43 View Post
    "The fact is that Windows 8 has pretty much caught up and is a good, secure system if used properly," he concluded. "Mac OSX is basically BSD at its core. So the only advantage Linux really has now is low market share (on the desktop). That is not a very powerful shield, so learning safe computing applies to us as well."

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/78748.html

Anyone want to poke holes in this thing?
    Poke holes in exactly what?

Linux exposure wrt enduser desktops is fairly limited thus far. But there are major players using Linux in the enterprise.

IMO the article is on target - with increased end users adopting Linux the target area becomes larger and more lucrative.

In another thread I read (paraphrasing) the most important OS security feature is the chair to keyboard interface
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Any OS is only as secure as the user using it.

Beans

Here is a quick $0.02. Linux, when using mostly repos, is always going to be more secure than Windows because I can apt-get update && apt-get upgrade daily which patches ALL of my apps. Not just OS (Microsoft) based apps.

"Years of no significant attacks on GNU/Linux made the users kinda of lazy," Ebersol explained - See more at: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/78....8el6xdRR.dpuf
    I don't believe that at all. Linux admins are just as quick to patch and security concerned as Windows admins. The linux admin just isn't as overworked.

In fact, most Linux malware is actually "malicious scripts that run inside the browser thanks to other, third-party software -- something proprietary like Java or Flash," Google+ blogger Gonzalo Velasco C. offered. - See more at: http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/78....8el6xdRR.dpuf
    And a mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.old fixes that problem. (Usually)
    Last edited by ant2ne; May 2nd, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Registered Linux User: 450747 Registered Ubuntu User: 16269

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    Poke holes in exactly what?

You don't see a problem with the statement that Linux's only security advantage is low market share?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast