Thread: Deleted bootloader

Beans

Deleted bootloader

Hello, I accidentally deleted the boot partition on my ubuntu 14.04 computer. I tried using boot-repair to fix it from a live USB, but my computer now repeatedly restarts itself going through the BIOS flash screen without ever actually booting up. the paste from boot repair is here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7374063/ I would really rather not reinstall since I have a lot of (big) downloaded programs that I compiled from source on that computer. Any suggestions on how to get boot-repair or another program to fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Deleted bootloader

You have what looks like a BIOS boot install that should work.

But you have reference to an efi partition in fstab, and your bios_grub is huge. The bios_grub is required for BIOS boot with grub and is usually 1 or 2MB. Your is 100MB which would be more the size for a small efi partition. An efi partition is required for UEFI boot.

How you boot installer is how it installs. UEFI and BIOS are not really compatible so once you start in one mode you cannot change to the other. So if booting in UEFI mode it installs in UEFI mode.

Do you have UEFI/BIOS set to boot in BIOS mode.

Or you can reset bios_grub to efi partition by formatting to FAT32 and if using gparted add boot flag to make it the efi partition. Then use Boot-Repair in UEFI mode to make repairs.

I do prefer to have smaller / (root) partition of 20 or 25GB and then use rest of drive as data or /home.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Oct 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.