Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Microsoft porting Office to Linux?

Not used MS office for over 5 years.

Can't imagine many Linux users paying for it. Not because they're Linux users, but because the free offerings are pretty much MS office 2000 and even that was enough for me and 80% of the population.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay3OOO View Post
    Not used MS office for over 5 years.

Can't imagine many Linux users paying for it. Not because they're Linux users, but because the free offerings are pretty much MS office 2000 and even that was enough for me and 80% of the population.
    Yeah. Now that I am a retired systems engineer, I have found no further need for Microsoft Windows or any of the products that run exclusively on Microsoft Windows. LibreOffice, GIMP, Pidgin, Thunderbird or Evolution Mail, Chrome or Firefox, etc., are good enough for my needs. I feel that if you do need or prefer a Microsoft product then use it.

This thread is just about a rumor however.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    +1 After the recent Internet Explorer debacle...
    And yet, it would be wise not to forget Heartbleed/OpenSSL. One "Aw, fudge!" outweighs 10 "attaboys".

It seems, as I have been saying for years, that Linux has no claim to superiority in the security arena over Microsoft.

That single debacle may be as bad by itself as the sum of Microsoft debacles.

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by QIII; May 3rd, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    And yet, it would be wise not to forget Heartbleed/OpenSSL. One "Aw, fudge!" outweighs 10 "attaboys".
    The one positive outcome of the Heartbleed debacle is the infusion of new funds for open-source development and maintenance, starting with OpenSSL, from the horde of large organizations embarrassed by this event.
    The [Linux Foundation] today is announcing a three-year initiative with at least $3.9 million to help under-funded open source projects—with OpenSSL coming first. Amazon Web Services, Cisco, Dell, Facebook, Fujitsu, Google, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, NetApp, Qualcomm, Rackspace, and VMware have all pledged to commit at least $100,000 a year for at least three years to the “Core Infrastructure Initiative,” Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim Zemlin told Ars.
    Where are RedHat, Novell and Canonical?

In the "not-invented here" category, Apple switched away from OpenSSL to "Common Crypto" back in 2011. I looked at Apple's "Public Source License. At first glance it didn't appear any more restrictive than many other open-source licenses attached to software in distibutions like Ubuntu. Why did none of the Linux distributors follow Apple's lead and adopt Common Crypto? If you follow this link for Common Crypto on Apple's site, you get shown Eric Young's SSLeay license. That was the earliest implementation of SSL I used on Apache servers. OpenSSL was also based on SSLeay.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 3rd, 2014 at 01:08 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You point out what is good about open source: it gets fixed before Patch Tuesday!

But yes, a very big show of downstream support to fix an upstream problem would be nice. Maybe it's there and we just don't see it.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Well I think it's a good sign People Microsoft Office will be easier to open Documents in Linux.. My mom doesn't want linux is because the Office is poor quality, all of her need is not in LibreOffice thats why she still uses Windows.. But I am good with ubuntu is because it is more easy to use, has flexibility on my brain, it is fast to boot up, has the softwares that I need in programming and It makes me look awesome.. But my teachers and schools are angered at me because I use linux rather windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm interested in MS Office because I prefer it over LibreOffice.

Otherwise Google Docs does what I need with the advantage of being all in the cloud. I have used MS Office Online but find it not as smooth as Google Docs, and lacks the added features that makes MS Office (installed) preferable.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Couldn't you use LibreOffice? It supports office files= types and much more and it's FREE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sps828gaming View Post
    Couldn't you use LibreOffice? It supports office files= types and much more and it's FREE!
    If you are providing a file made in LibreOffice but it is going to be opened by somebody running MS Office then you will want to double-check it in Office beforehand because, although it is getting better, some formatting does not translate 100%.

There are features available that are just not available in LibreOffice.

I know where the menu items for actions are in MS Office.

I have no problem with the ribbon, and can usually find the tools I want.

MS Office actually boots up about the same or faster than LibreOffice.

In summary, "preference".
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    If you are providing a file made in LibreOffice but it is going to be opened by somebody running MS Office then you will want to double-check it in Office beforehand because, although it is getting better, some formatting does not translate 100%.
    And whose fault is that?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast