Thread: How To Make New KWallet Integration with PAM Work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How To Make New KWallet Integration with PAM Work?

KWallet in Kubuntu 14.04 is said to be integrated with PAM. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1305307; http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/pam-kwallet) If the wallet's password and the user's login password are the same, this, I gather, is supposed to stop KWallet from hounding you with incessant password requests.

Here, my Kwallet password and my log in password are identical. KMail, though, prompts for a KWallet password every time it is launched after a new log in.

Has anyone come across any guidance about making this PAM-KWallet integration work?

Beans

Re: How To Make New KWallet Integration with PAM Work?

I am struggling with the same issue myself. I recently upgraded three of my machines to Kubuntu 14.04: a desktop, a laptop and a notebook. The desktop and laptop (both relatively new/powerful machines) have both stopped asking me for a password to open KWallet, but my notebook (old, slow to boot) still asks for it. I notice it is always an Akonadi resource that prompts the dialog box (not, say, kde-telepathy).

I am trying to work out why it isn't working for the netbook. I can't see any relevant differences in the packages installed. Looking at the Authentication Log, the messages from pam_kwallet are the same for both the laptop and the netbook. One thing that is different, though, is that on the laptop (where it works), there is a sequence of lines:

Code:
    lightdm - pam_kwallet(lightdm:setcred): pam_sm_setsecred
    lightdm - pam_unix(lightdm:session): session opened for user <me> by (uid=0)
    systemd-logind - Removed session c1
    systemd-logind - New session c2 of user <me>.
    systemd-logind - Linked /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 to /run/user/1000/X11-display
    lightdm - pam_ck_connector(lightdm:session): nox11 mode, ignoring PAM_TTY :0
    while for the netbook (where it doesn't) the systemd-logind lines are missing. I have no idea if that is relevant.

The only other thing I can think of is that on the netbook, the boot is so slow that something 'times out' or happens in the wrong order so that KWallet doesn't open in a timely fashion.

Any suggestions from someone with more of a clue would be most appreciated.