Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolling Release Best Choice for XP Replacements

Beans

Rolling Release Best Choice for XP Replacements

If you are doing XP replacements, are you using a rolling release distro, a LTS, or are you planning to keep everyone updated manually?
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Rolling Release Best Choice for XP Replacements

Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceUnits View Post
    If you are doing XP replacements, are you using a rolling release distro, a LTS, or are you planning to keep everyone updated manually?
    I prefer the Ubuntu Development Version, but I like breakage. Not been so the last few versions.
    PopularPages A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

If it was for a Linux novice, I'd go with a LTS version. My favorite rolling-release distro is PCLinuxOS. I have their Xfce spin on another computer. Heavier than Xubuntu (my main default distro, the one I always "run home to") but PCLOS' combination of apt-get with RPM packaging is pretty cool. The all-or-nothing update approach was scary at first but I think it's a safe, reliable rolling-release OS. I even donated to that project even though I'm a Xubuntu user most of the time.

Beans

I find it hard to imagine that most decade-long XP users want to suddenly roll on the bleeding edge of Ubuntu's development.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; May 1st, 2014 at 01:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

PAE could be an issue for really old hardware I'm pretty sure if you are staying with a *buntu Linux you only have the option of Xubuntu 12.04 as that was the last release to support non PAE processors.

And as of 12.10 non PAE processors are not supported at all

I believe that you can get a non PAE install of Bodhi Linux however not sure what other distros will work but I haven't tried them all.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The PAE problem is blown out of proportions. One boot option, problem solved.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    I find it hard to imagine that most decade-long XP users want to suddenly roll on the bleeding edge of Ubuntu's development.
    +1000.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Stay away from anything that says ''testing'', ''development'' etc.

While smaller releases/lighter releases are killer and could teach you lot stay away from OB and such.

If it is a really must, go with Lubuntu LTS or it is better to stick with Xubuntu LTS. You can give a shot at Fedora or Mint too. I personally liked Xubu and Fedora XFCE. PClinuxOS might be a good choice to go for if you've decent machine, but be warned, it does come with lot of per-installed packages and you might never even use them. It is better to chose something which will require you least uninstalling/installing after you install the OS. I suggest going through packages of those OS I mentioned coming with just to check if what you need is there and if not what it is that you need to get it. Also, if you're using graphic card and it requires 3rd party drivers, make sure it has Linux release as well.
    Last edited by LastDino; May 1st, 2014 at 04:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Rolling release doesn't necessarily mean "bleeding edge"; it just means that you keep current with regular updates rather than big version upgrades. For example, SolydXK is a rolling release, but it's based on Debian testing (with additional vetting) so the packages are definitely not bleeding edge.

Basically, think "service packs" rather than "new versions".

That kind of a system could be pretty compelling for users who want to install once and keep it going indefinitely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Rolling release doesn't necessarily mean "bleeding edge"; it just means that you keep current with regular updates rather than big version upgrades. For example, SolydXK is a rolling release, but it's based on Debian testing (with additional vetting) so the packages are definitely not bleeding edge.

Basically, think "service packs" rather than "new versions".

That kind of a system could be pretty compelling for users who want to install once and keep it going indefinitely.
    But there will be UI changes. Things will break and things will unbreak. For somebody used to XP, the pace of OS changes will be a shock. People coming from XP probably want to learn a system once and then not have it change for five years or longer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast