Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Leaving

Beans

Re: I'm Leaving

The last straw for me has been the complete uselessness of what is supposed to be a Long Term Support release, 14.04. My desktop crashes periodically, weird things happen such as icons disappearing and Unity freezing. It won't let me install the proprietry Radeon Mobility drivers, which means my display suffers from lag and jerkiness. In order for me to have a stable system I would have to go all the way back to 9.10.
    Hardware info? Is it a fresh install or an "upgrade"? Did you post on the help threads?

There are some minor glitches (such is the case of ALL new OS releases) but nothing major. In fact I think the quality of new releases are getting better and better since the time of 10.04. The new releases are less buggy and the bugs get fixed faster. I remember the state of 10.04 and 12.04 when they were released. I can easily use 14.04 as my main OS now if I overlook a few minor wrinkles, but 13.10 is working perfectly without even the small wrinkles, so I can wait til 12.0.4.1 when the remaining wrinkles are ironed out. But I would never have used 12.04 or 10.04 before even the end of April.

Unity was a mistake.
    Oh in your opinion, in your opinion. Who are you to declare x "is a mistake"? Sounds rather pompous to me. Many of us happen to like Unity.

Beans

and the free cookies.
    Where are the free Cookies?

I love Kubuntu ( Am I worng in saying Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a few add on's?) The way my system runs I would be happy to pay 100 bucks for the LTS every 5 years.
    Puppy Linux is cool too.
    I am so staying.
    Last edited by WogBoy; April 29th, 2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit --- Hp Pavilion G6, AMD A4-3305M With Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz 4GbRam 250GB Samsung SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by WogBoy View Post
    I love Kubuntu ( Am I worng in saying Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a few add on's?)
    Kubuntu is Ubuntu, but it uses KDE instead of Gnome/Unity.

So it's a little more than a few add-ons.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicFlux View Post
    So is the implication here that because Canonical don't charge a fee for Ubuntu that I should be somewhat grateful for the use of software that grinds my hardware to a halt.
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
    No. I think you missed the point there.
    Moving on...

Surely I'm not the lone voice of dissent here. I can't be the only one who has noticed the downward trend?
    Perhaps downward for your hardware and your use. But not, perhaps, everybody's. My experience has been different.
    And you're certainly not alone. Threads similar to this have been trickling in this forum since I first joined in 2008...meanwhile Ubuntu use has exponentially grown.

I've seen myriads of "goodbye" posts, and I honestly wish you good luck finding what you seek. The number of them doesn't seem important to me - for each "goodbye" post, I see dozens of "hello" posts.

I've seen myriads of "Canonical is evil" posts. And "Canonical is overreaching" discussions. And "Canonical is making poor choices" posts.
    All of those are generally heavy on opinion (and the occasional conspiracy theory) and rather light on true facts. I find Canonical's decisionmaking and development to be *much* more open to community involvement and input today than ever before.

I've seen myriads of "Ubuntu is slower and less stable than it used to be" posts.
    That's different. We can often help with those. This forum helps a lot of people.
    Measurable degradation of the system - longer boot times, more frequent crashes, etc - are something the Ubuntu Desktop and Foundations and QA and Testing Teams care deeply about, and they want to know *everything* about cases like yours!

I've also seen myriads of "been 'round the world on lots of other distros and found them all dissatisfying too so I'm coming back to Ubuntu"
    posts. So try not to burn your bridges too badly here when you depart. We'd like to welcome you back someday.

Quote Originally Posted by WogBoy View Post
    Where are the free Cookies?
    They're over on the left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've often wondered why people announce on various boards that they're leaving/quitting or whatever. Why not just quietly go away? Do they seek validation? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here we go again. Use what works for you. Wheeee!

wheee.gif
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

If anything we should all be more critical of Canonical, given the fact that they are a business and that they are making money from Linux...
    Actually they haven't been profitable since they started. Canonical "assembles" the Linux kernel and bits of FOSS to create an imaginative and wonderful OS and gives it away for free. If it were not for "Linux for Human Beings," many of us - perhaps even the majority of Linux users (including you) - would never have even tried Linux.

I'm using 12.04 still, and I intend to stay with it until the next LTS is at least a few months old. But on my old dinky hardware, maybe I'll even hang onto Precise until it reaches the end of it's support life, then upgrade only to Trusty for another couple of years. That's just me being paranoid I suppose, but that strategy has been reliable since 10.04. The few times I got brave (or reckless) and tried the latest version, I had a few issues which scared me back to my old LTS for the duration.

I suggest that, if you end up back on Ubuntu or any Ubuntu-based distro, you stick with the prior LTS versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

"It doesn't work for me." is fair.

"It doesn't work for anyone since it doesn't work for me." isn't.

Obviously it is working for some of us.

If it doesn't work for you, it's silly to use it. That's the bottom line. But don't take a research sample size of one, or even a hundred anecdotal examples you may find here as a valid sample for drawing a conclusion.

People rarely come to technical help forums complaining that things are working right. So we can draw no conclusions about the frequency of failure per capita.

Use a different OS if it works. No foul there. No need to announce it to everyone, either.

Beans
    Hidden!

Can I have your beans?
    What's a landing but a take off in reverse?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

/me hands Habitual 3000 of his.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast