Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dependency problem

Beans

Dependency problem

I would like to install simplescreenrecorder and have tried to do so both via the command line and though the ubuntu software centre.

In both cases the install is aborted due to dependency issues.

For now at least these are:

Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.23)
    Depends: libavcodec53 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable or libavcodec-extra-53 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable
    Depends: libavformat53 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable or libavformat-extra-53 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable
    Depends: libavutil51 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable or libavutil-extra-51 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable
    Depends: libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) but it is not installable or libjack-0.116 but it is not installable
    Depends: libpulse0 (>= 1:0.99.1) but 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 is to be installed
    Depends: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0) but 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5.6 is to be installed
    Depends: libswscale2 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable or libswscale-extra-2 (>= 4:0.8-1~) but it is not installable
    Recommends: libssr-glinject but it is not going to be installed
    I have NO idea how to resolve this ... or if indeed it IS resolvable.

Any and all help muchly appreciated.

TIA

Beans

Re: Looking for independence ...

Quote Originally Posted by Langstracht View Post
    Depends: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0) but 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5.6 is to be installed
    You seem to have installed an older PPA or other Non-Ubuntu repository to install software that conflicts with Ubuntu.
    The simplest way to resolve is to uninstall the non-Ubuntu software, then disable the Non-Ubuntu repository or PPA.

Only software from the Ubuntu Repositories is supported by this forum. PPA and other Non-Ubuntu software are not supported by this community - contact those developers directly.
    Until you resolve the problem, your system will not receive security updates or any other updates.

Beans

Re: Dependency problem

Thank you for your reply.

Alas I am more confused than before.

If you mean I installed a PPA so as to get the (manual) installation of the programme, you are absolutely correct. Although I have no idea whether it is "older" or not.

When the installation failed I removed the PPA.

On a whim I then went to the Ubuntu Software Centre and was pleased to find the programme there.

And started up the, subsequently aborted, install process.

You say I should uninstall the software ... but it did not install in the first place.

As indicated the PPA is not there.

I don't understand how my (temporary) manual installation of a PPA would cause/allow the Software Centre to add a programme. And indeed, if that IS what it does, I would think that is a major bug. Perhaps someone can comment/verify.

I was NOT looking for support for the software. I was trying to add to my pea brain knowledge of how to "upgrade" library programmes.

What security or any other upgrades will I not be getting? From ubuntu you mean? And why would that be the case?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Only software from the Ubuntu Repositories is supported by this forum. PPA and other Non-Ubuntu software are not supported by this community - contact those developers directly.
    @ian-weisser, where do you get that idea from? Of course forum members may try to help people with issues arising from trying to install or installing software from third-party sources. The main things that are not supported are anything to do with cracking, piracy, illegal activity, circumvention of terms of service and EULAs, and the like. If a person needs help with obscure software or obscure PPAs then there may be few members who have experience with that software but I would hope that members would help with whatever issues that may arise when using Ubuntu or one of the recognised flavours of Ubuntu.

@Langstracht, to be clear with what happened, am I correct in thinking that the errors you posted in your first post are what you saw when you unsuccessfully tried to install simplescreenrecorder from a PPA, and that you have subsequently removed the PPA? If so perhaps you could tell us more about simplescreenrecorder - it is not a piece of software I have heard of - and which PPA you tried to use. Perhaps someone could help with the installation of simplescreenrecorder.

Also, are you getting any errors now when you try to install software from the official repositories? I am not clear whether you are still getting dependency errors.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

What security or any other upgrades will I not be getting? From ubuntu you mean? And why would that be the case?
    Your package manager, whether it be apt-get or a gui, cannot resolve the problem for you and must be delt with manually. So this will shut down the entire update process until repaired. What happens when you try to update in terminal?

Have you checked your /etc/apt/sources.list.d?
    Last edited by ibjsb4; April 29th, 2014 at 03:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Langstracht View Post
    When the installation failed I removed the PPA.

On a whim I then went to the Ubuntu Software Centre and was pleased to find the programme there.
    Okay, so you disabled the PPA. (good)
    But the package you installed from the PPA is still installed on your system. (bad)
    It's the package that causes the conflict. Uninstall the package.

To test if the problem is fixed, run Software Updater. If it runs successfully, the problem is resolved.
    If Software Updater returns an error message, show us the complete output.

You won't get updates for *any* of your software until resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @ian-weisser, where do you get that idea from? Of course forum members may try to help people with issues arising from trying to install or installing software from third-party sources. The main things that are not supported are anything to do with cracking, piracy, illegal activity, circumvention of terms of service and EULAs, and the like. If a person needs help with obscure software or obscure PPAs then there may be few members who have experience with that software but I would hope that members would help with whatever issues that may arise when using Ubuntu or one of the recognised flavours of Ubuntu.
    @coffeecat, Thank you. My apologies to Langstracht for misleading him on the purpose of the forums.

Beans

to be clear with what happened, am I correct in thinking that the errors you posted in your first post are what you saw when you unsuccessfully tried to install simplescreenrecorder from a PPA, and that you have subsequently removed the PPA?
    That is correct. And those errors (I'm pretty sure) were replicated exactly when I tried to install from Ubuntu Software Center.

If so perhaps you could tell us more about simplescreenrecorder - it is not a piece of software I have heard of - and which PPA you tried to use. Perhaps someone could help with the installation of simplescreenrecorder.
    See: http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

Also, are you getting any errors now when you try to install software from the official repositories? I am not clear whether you are still getting dependency errors.
    I haven't tried to install anything "official" and what with this apparent problem with the Center offering the simplescreenrecorder installation I'm not sure how I would know it IS "official".

As I asked previously could someone check THEIR Software Center and see if simplescreenrecorder is there? If so, then why won't it install. If not, well I still don't know how to get rid of it.

Your package manager, whether it be apt-get or a gui, cannot resolve the problem for you and must be delt with manually. So this will shut down the entire update process until repaired. What happens when you try to update in terminal?
    Sorry I don't know how to answer this. It "runs", shows a couple of errors, many "Get"s and "Hit"s. Assuming there is no name change, there would appear to be no sign of either the simplescreenrecorder software or the above url.

Have you checked your /etc/apt/sources.list.d?
    I now have. There are 2 entries relating to screen recorder. I take it they should NOT be there. If so, am I safe in just deleting them? Or will that just create more problems.

Are the entries the reason they show up in Ubuntu Software Center?

Okay, so you disabled the PPA. (good)
    But the package you installed from the PPA is still installed on your system. (bad)
    It's the package that causes the conflict. Uninstall the package.
    But as I explained the installation failed ... and so I have to believe the package is not uninstallable ...

To test if the problem is fixed, run Software Updater. If it runs successfully, the problem is resolved.
    If Software Updater returns an error message, show us the complete output.
    Update Manager - as I think you suspected returns an error: see attached.

One last point/question that I tried to make before. I was under the impression that the Software Center was populated with software that "Ubuntu" knew worked/approved etc. Is that not the case?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I think we have insufficient data here. The problem you describe might be caused by the SimpleScreenRecorder PPA package...or another previously-installed PPA package...or something else.

While we help you fix this problem, please use Terminal instead of Software Center, and please post the complete output to everything you try.
    The exact terminal error messages, and the order in which the messages occur, are *very* helpful.

Please open a terminal and show us the *complete* output of
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Last edited by ian-weisser; April 30th, 2014 at 12:49 PM.

Beans

What release of Ubuntu are you using?, the package versions reported for libqtcore4 & libpulse0 seem to indicate 10.04 (Lucid

Beans

Please open a terminal and show us the *complete* output
    Output is attached.

What release of Ubuntu are you using?
    10.04 as you surmised.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast