Thread: Setting a good password

Beans
    Hidden!

Setting a good password

Hi I am not sure whether this is related to the thread but it does involve commands. I just typed sudo passwd to try and change my root password. It will not let me change it even though I enter the new password and it seems to acknowledge it as okay even. My password was a little weak hence the need for change. I wondered if I instead entered the original password when I first installed Ubuntu to see if that was 'needed one' instead to then change to a new password after. I am trying to change the password that I use when I do sudo apt-get update for example. I read the Ubuntu documentation and it seems to suggest there is another password not including the keyring password - perhaps a 'user' password ? It is certainly confusing me at present hence me asking again about this. I did use character symbols in the new password change so perhaps thats the problem ? Thanks all I appreciate you time and help.
    Last edited by hebdave; April 28th, 2014 at 09:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Setting a good password

I've moved your post to its own thread, because it's not directly related to the software centre.

There is some information about sudo, admin privileges, root passwords and the like at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans

Ubuntu is different from other Linux operating systems in that the root account password is locked, and you cannot login as root. I would worry about using character symbols in a password, seems like you might make a mistake entering them. Personally I think a long pass phrase (14+ characters of words strung together) makes a decent password, and is not hard to remember.

Beans

Government recommendations are 12 characters with complexity or more than 12 characters without complexity.

The best thing you can do is to install KeepassX on Linux, Keepass on Windows and KeepassDroid on your phone, put the database on Dropbox or Copy.com and start using it for all your passwords.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

dropbox? it's unencrypted.... although the keepass is encrypted.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

hebdave,
    Length, strength and complexity all contribute towards a strong password / pass phrase, the article from Stanford University illustrates just that point http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/stanfords-password-policy-shuns-one-size-fits-all-security/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hebdave View Post
    Hi I am not sure whether this is related to the thread but it does involve commands. I just typed sudo passwd to try and change my root password. It will not let me change it even though I enter the new password and it seems to acknowledge it as okay even. My password was a little weak hence the need for change. I wondered if I instead entered the original password when I first installed Ubuntu to see if that was 'needed one' instead to then change to a new password after. I am trying to change the password that I use when I do sudo apt-get update for example. I read the Ubuntu documentation and it seems to suggest there is another password not including the keyring password - perhaps a 'user' password ? It is certainly confusing me at present hence me asking again about this. I did use character symbols in the new password change so perhaps thats the problem ? Thanks all I appreciate you time and help.
    To change a user password, you do not need sudo, just use
    Code:
    passwd
    in a terminal from the user session you are looged in. http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/.../passwd.1.html
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay thanks all I have now changed it much appreciated