Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lubuntu 14.04 won't shut down

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 14.04 won't shut down

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    OK, gksudo leafpad it is. Or is the name something else?
    Right - I re-installed 14.04 and when it refused to reboot immediately afterwards to compete the installation, I knew that I had wasted my time - I'm back to square one! I tried editing the file via leafpad (much easier) but my laptop sill won't shut down. Where do I go from here? As it works with 13.10, can I leave it there wihout it updating itself? But surely that's not good in the long term?

Thanks to all of you for your help - any further suggestions gratefully accepted!

Chris

Beans

Shock! Horror! It now shuts down! What did I do? After posting the previous post, I ran the software updater to update everything after the fresh install. I clicked on the reboot button to complete the update - and it rebooted! Maybe that leafpad thing did the trick after a delay? I tested the reboot and shutdown modes 2 or 3 times and it works.

Anyway, I now have a laptop that works and it's all because of you helpful people. Thank you all very much!

Chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Glad to see it is finally working, even if some magic was involved
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans

I had issues with 14.04 not shutting down. I had to reach the desktop and shut down using the menu once. That failed so I rebooted and ran init 6 and then once it rebooted ran init 0. After that I shut down with the menu and it worked. No idea why.

Do you happen to have an nvidia or Intel video card?

Beans

GREAT !!! I'm really happy to see things are now working. Enjoy your lubuntu distro, it's really cool.

Beans

I have the same problem with my desktop computer with Lubuntu 14.10. Worked flawlessly with 12.10 and even 13.04 and 13.10

When I grep the dmesg output, I don't anything for oops. Are there any other patterns or keywords I should look for?

Beans

Linux Mint 17, Ubuntu 14.04,(64bit, laptop new Akoya E1232T, Intel celeron N2807,UEFI) same problem, solution doesn't work(also other solutions on forums,editing grub etc..) . I also changed kernels but still nothing, freeze after reboot/shutdown. Even when booted from live CD/USB. But if boot the Gparted live USB, no problem, reboot, shutdown works. So this is not HW problem but Ubuntu issue. Masters of LINUX, please help!!!

Beans

I tried a number of fixes proposed here and elsewhere for Kubuntu 12.04.2 on an Acer E3-112, including changes to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and additions to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= in /etc/default/grub. None worked consistently. Simply deleting all all options for GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= did work, however, on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. Without the fix, not only does the laptop not shut down; the file system appears to become increasingly corrupt, with lots of entries in lost+found, but is in fact OK when examined on a different computer. Curiously, this fix is not necessary for the same system when installed on a mechanical hard drive. The missing splash screens don't bother me at all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234