Thread: Getting PuTTY to work on desktop Linux

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Getting PuTTY to work on desktop Linux

Hi all,

I'll preface this question by stating that I'm a reformed Windows user who switched to Ubuntu for my desktop machine a little over a month ago. However, I've been using Linux on the command line over SSH for years.

Being a former Windows user I've been happily using PuTTY for those years. One of the things I like about PuTTY is that it will record session logs. However, I don't see that option in the default SSH client under Ubuntu (GNOME Terminal), which is why I was happy to see PuTTY in the Ubuntu Software Centre. You can save yourself reading the rest of this post if you can recommend an SSH client that will save and log sessions. I'm well aware that I can use "ssh remote.server.com" in GNOME Terminal but I want logging. I've also read all the negative and patronising reactions of astonishment to people who admit to using PuTTY under Linux, so that will tell you I've probably hit all the similar PuTTY-related posts on this site.

(I've tried piping SSH output to "tee" [ssh user@remote.server.com | tee logfile] but the output is full of non-printable characters. Same with using "script". And I've seen a reference to using ~/.ssh/config for saving sessions which I will look into if I can't get PuTTY to work.)

I installed PuTTY, and I can log in and the session is logged. So what are my problems? I had three, but I'm down to one and a half:

1) I cannot copy text to the clipboard from within PuTTY, and
    2) I cannot run multiple sessions.

At the moment I have over thirty browser tabs open on these subjects (and have closed many more), so I've tried to do my research. But if I can't get these two issues solved, then PuTTY will be of no use to me under Ubuntu.

Item 1 -- Copy to the clipboard

On Windows just highlighting text in PuTTY copied it to the clipboard, and a single right-click pasted. I finally figured out pasting on Ubuntu by using Shift+Insert instead of right-clicking. I've read various articles about copying, and none of the following suggestions have worked for me:

1) Simply highlighting the desired text does not automatically copy it to the clipboard.
    2) There is no right-click menu, and the right-click does not copy the highlighted text to the clipboard.
    3) Middle mouse click or simultaneously clicking the left and right mouse / touch pad buttons does not work.
    4) Shift+Ctrl+C does not work. Ctrl+C obviously doesn't work either.
    5) Ctrl+Insert doesn't work.
    6) Shift+Delete does not work.
    7) Shift+Insert and Shift+Ctrl+Insert will copy the highlighted text and simultaneously output it on the command line. However, the text is not actually copied to the clipboard, as shown by hitting Shift+Insert or Ctrl+V in another program -- e.g., gedit. This behaviour is of no use to me.

It occurs to me that I can work around the copying issue by opening the session log and doing it from there. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Item 2 -- Multiple sessions

If I already have one PuTTY session open, clicking the PuTTY icon in the launcher just brings up that session, and there is no menu in the PuTTY window title bar where I might find an option to open a new session. Right-clicking the launcher icon does not bring up an option to start a new simultaneous session either.

If you can help with either of these or, as I said, suggest a different terminal program that stores sessions and logs sessions, I'd appreciate it. I'm running the stock Unity desktop on 13.10. If there's any other information I can provide please let me know.

Thanks.

Craig
    Last edited by craig10; June 6th, 2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Add solved.