Thread: With 14.04 update manager does not show list of pending packages, only settings

Beans

With 14.04 update manager does not show list of pending packages, only settings

After having installed Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bit) I noticed that the update manager does not show any list of pending packages, only the settings of the manager (package sources, settings for updating etc.).

So I do not know what packages are to be updated, if any.

My installation was almost clean. I did a new install but in 12.04 I used Synaptic to produce a list of software and applied it to speed installation of those programs. So that might be a source of trouble.

But perhaps I should change some settings or install some piece of software?

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: With 14.04 update manager does not show list of pending packages, only settings

Ubuntu software center has the 'history' button showing all updated packages. So when in doubt, look there.

Beans

Re: With 14.04 update manager does not show list of pending packages, only settings

What I should ask perhaps is whether the default behaviour of the update manager has been changed between U 12.04 and 14.04. I do not mind if the idea nowadays is not to show the list of packages that are going to be updated. I may have missed the announcement about that.

Beans
    Hidden!

I do not have update manager installed, just synaptic, so I'm not sure about the display. You have synaptic installed, is it showing updates?

Beans

Yes, I have synaptic, and at the moment it does not show updates. I have been doing

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

every day.

Beans
    Hidden!

If synaptic shows no updates, then doing a terminal update (and update manager) should also show nothing. Synaptic is just a GUI for apt-get.

Beans

I think I now realize what happened. I was using "Software-properties-gtk" while thinking it was "Gnome apt update manager".
    It was the latter that I should have been using.

Thank you for your attention & support.

Beans
    Hidden!