Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: after update - blows out network.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

DNS not working and fixed it

Hi I had this problem before, and being the idiot I was, just backed up my files like on USB thumb drive and Google drive and reinstalled 14.04 Trusty. But I didn't give up so easily this time.

Everytime I upgrade to 14.10 Utopic (Mr. Shuttleworth really comes up with cute names !) DNS doesn't work.

I know my other computer a Windows Vista aroudn 5+ years old and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 running Android as well as my cell phone, Saumsung S4 both worked fine with my ISP Rogers cable in Ontario, Canada both last time andd this. So I decided to use OpenDNS. Well to set it up I followed this link http://askubuntu.com/questions/2321/...nge-the-dns-ip
    and using the last advice with 3 votes
    sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head of course you can use gedit
    but ...

The best way to set a nameserver via the CLI, without NetworkManger, with a static address, or independent of the connection is this:

Code:
    Install the resolvconf package.
    Run
    sudo nano /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    (ignore the scary warning. /etc/resolv.conf is autogenerated, so the warning is there so it will get put in /etc/resolv.conf when /etc/resolv.conf is generated.) To the end of the file, add
     nameserver <ip_of_nameserver>
    Press Ctrl x and answer yes to saving the file. To finish up, regenerate /etc/resolv.conf so the changes are applied right now:
     sudo resolvconf -u

and it worked changing nameserver to 220.... in regards to Google DNSserver 8.8.8.8. as on my personal experience, I had a Nuance recruiter contact me, I don't trust Google and their chief of engineering Ray Kurzweil (who owns Nuance) who I think does read e-mail (I use GMail) probably with an AI assistant, hey it is Kurzweil who I consider Rudolph Steiner accurately predicted as Ahriman in 2000 A.D., so prefer not to have Google know even more of my Internet usage by using it's DNS.

So there is some bug in Ubuntu 14.10 which doesn't get the name server right. I am not an expert on DNS and I doubt even the great god of the Internet for Google Vint Cerf knows it, I suggest someone at Canonical and whoever is development team have a look at it. I am too lazy and just not willing to report a bug report as I find it annoying, I get bombarded with all updates on my e-mail account regarding the bug report.

Regards,
    Ramesh
    Last edited by cariboo907; May 8th, 2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: remove table tags and replace with code tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: after update - blows out network.

Merged two similar threads.

Beans
    Distro

Is this bug fixed yet or still an issue?

Beans

I posted this earlier in the thread and still have to use it. Whien logging in choose the rescue mode and then select start networking after this resume and I have network. My situation may be a bit different than most as I use an ethernet connection to my DSL box. Maybe ethernet has something to do with this problem. I have been updateing every day and still it is not fixed for my situation.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Is this bug fixed yet or still an issue?
    I have 2 installs on the same machine one with dns=dnsmasq commented out and the other , not. They are both working fine.

I just zsynced to .iso yesterday so I may try an install today and see whats up.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro

The one install works just fine after updates. I am going to mark it solved for now .. but it may rear up later in the cycle, so I'll keep an eye on it.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

still broken in Xubuntu - commented the dsnmasq line it works - uncomment it - nada - zilch - sod all - seems the imps are playing with the connection

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    still broken in Xubuntu - commented the dsnmasq line it works - uncomment it - nada - zilch - sod all - seems the imps are playing with the connection
    +1 with Ubuntu and Unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I had a strange thing happen this morning, I connected without thinking about it, but on checking top a bit later, I saw that dnsmasq was pegged at 100% cpu usage, killing it seem to make my connection a bit faster.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast