Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Gnome with Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

Re: Using Gnome with Ubuntu 14.04

tea41,

The link you posted does not resolve properly. Pasting the thread number brings up this thread
    How can I know the usernames connected to my system?
    which does not appear to be the one you intended.
    I'm old, in the way, and still a noob, but want to learn and trying, so replies in "A-B-C" with code/specifics are appreciated. Most of my posts are in the Absolute Beginners Forum, so please advise me as the beginner that I am. Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey1942 View Post
    tea41,

The link you posted does not resolve properly. Pasting the thread number brings up this thread

which does not appear to be the one you intended.
    Apologies for the broken link - here is the correct one

http://askubuntu.com/questions/45238...ome-shell-icon

Beans

ibjsb4, does your method result in a desktop experience that would be same or very similar to gnome 2 under 12.04, in particular top and bottom panels/multiple workspaces/desktop icons/etc.?

Vladlenin5000 (or anyone) is this the download to "use gnome from the start"?

Thanks.
    I'm old, in the way, and still a noob, but want to learn and trying, so replies in "A-B-C" with code/specifics are appreciated. Most of my posts are in the Absolute Beginners Forum, so please advise me as the beginner that I am. Many thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

ibjsb4, does your method result in a desktop experience that would be same or very similar to gnome 2 under 12.04, in particular top and bottom panels/multiple workspaces/desktop icons/etc.?
    Ubuntu 12.04 runs gnome3, gnome2 is no longer used (dead project). But to answer your question, yes. In 12.04 it was called 'fallback or classic'. In 14.04 it is now called 'flashback'. This desktop is setup to look like gnome2, but is really gnome3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey1942 View Post

Vladlenin5000 (or anyone) is this the download to "use gnome from the start"?

Thanks.
    Look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264

But IMHO 12.04 is much more stable and it's still supported until April 2017.

Beans

Thank you everyone for the overwhelming responce. Last night I was in a hurry to get to bed so after reading jmbell's responce I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
    In the terminal and it worked fine. I can now select gnome when logging in.

There have been a lot of questions as to why I didn't just use Ubuntu Gnome in the first place. Also I've noticed a couple of people wondering if Unity and Gnome can be run together

"I thought that you were not to mix the two any more and that why they were seperate ISO. " sammiev

To clear things up I didn't use Ubuntu Gnome because I never knew it existed. I only found out about it after trying to google instructions to install Gnome on Ubuntu 14.04. It took me forever to get a Dual Boot of Win 8 / Ubuntu on my Thinkpad T530. I've always had issues with the video driver which usually ruins my install and I have to reinstall ubuntu which breaks the GRUB. Anyway like I said this is my first time getting a working dual boot so I would rather not have to reinstall Ubuntu Gnome 14,04. Can someone please clairfy (or point to a clairifying resource), if Unity and Gnome can be run together? What are the advantages of using Ubuntu Gnome over Unity Ubuntu + Gnome?

Last question: Someone mentioned that I need to be sure to run sudo apt-get update before installing Gnome. I didn't, what are the consequences?

Thanks for all the help again. Appreciate the time you guys take to help a newb!

Beans
    Hidden!

Unity and flashback are built on gnome3. Gnome3 is needed for either one to function.

Beans

With regard to getting gnome with 14.04, I am still confused about the various options, their differences and benefits. Like JesseJones, I also installed 14.04 unity before I realized there was a separate iso for the "pure" gnome version of 14.04. Now I need to consider whether it is worth reinstalling from scratch to get gnome 14.04, or whether adding the gnome option to my already installed unity will be sufficient / as good. If someone could explain the benefits of each and the differences between them this would be wonderful.

Also, with regard to the unity + gnome option, what is the difference between

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop
    and

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback
    As a side note, with regard to the latter option this below site seems to be potentially very helpful. From following the writer's other guides, I got the experience that he is quite skilled:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/how-t...eak-gnome.html
    Last edited by swarup; April 28th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by swarup View Post
    With regard to getting gnome with 14.04, I am still confused about the various options, their differences and benefits. Like JesseJones, I also installed 14.04 unity before I realized there was a separate iso for the "pure" gnome version of 14.04. Now I need to consider whether it is worth reinstalling from scratch to get gnome 14.04, or whether adding the gnome option to my already installed unity will be sufficient / as good. If someone could explain the benefits of each and the differences between them this would be wonderful.

Also, with regard to the unity + gnome option, what is the difference between

and

As a side note, with regard to the latter option this below site seems to be potentially very helpful. From following the writer's other guides, I got the experience that he is quite skilled:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/how-t...eak-gnome.html
    Good evening

The first option will pull in extra packages such as Evolution, Gnome chess etc

The second option will allow you to switch between Unity and Gnome-shell without the additional packages that you may or may not want.......

I use the second option because I prefer to add software that I need rather than receive a bundle containing unrequired software.

For example, Ubuntu already includes Thunderbird (for e-mail) therefore I have no need to download and install Evolution.

If you install synaptic and load the first option, you can see all the packages that are contained in ubuntu-gnome-desktop

Kind regards

Beans

Many thanks for your kind and helpful reply. From reading it, I understood that by "first option" you refer to [sudo apt-get install gnome-shell ubuntu-gnome-desktop]; and by "second option" you refer to [sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback]. From your post I could understand that indeed, these are two different ways of adding gnome as an alternate desktop for an already installed unity 14.04. And I think were I to select this "altenative desktop" pathway, then like you I'd probably select the second option for doing it.

My first question I would also be very interested to hear your thoughts on: What are the differences between installing from scratch to get gnome 14.04, versus adding the gnome option to an already installed unity 14.04? Are there any differences in the functionality / stability of gnome in the two setups. In the unity option, one has the obvious benefit of switching freely to unity. In the "from scratch" pure gnome option, does one get a better functioning gnome in some way, than one gets with the unity + gnome flashback?
    Last edited by swarup; April 28th, 2014 at 09:18 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast