Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,113

    My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    I'm far from having this all worked out yet, thus the need for the word challenges in the title, but I began working on this during the Trusty dev cycle so I suppose I should start with what I know, but please be sure to browse this entirely before jumping in head first - particularly the Challenges and Known Issues and please help if you can.

    There are changes to be aware of since I wrote my Precise Classic notes:

    First, there has been continual session renaming since Precise to accommodate the new GNOME Classic session which is actually a GNOME Shell session with some cherry-picked extensions running on top of the Mutter window manager. No PPA is needed to test the new GNOME Classic session in Ubuntu GNOME Trusty but WebUpD8 still has the best description I've found.

    Second, metacity settings have now been totally deprecated from gconf in favor of dconf/gsettings so you'll notice quite a number of changes in the commands required to apply theming tweaks such as moving the window management buttons.

    Third, and perhaps most importantly, while the "flashback" session is no longer directly supported by the GNOME developers Flashback w/Metacity will continue to be supported by Edubuntu dev and these dedicated people.

    My personal focus is on the Flashback w/Metacity session which is supported by Edubuntu and both Ubuntu and Edubuntu Trusty are supported for a full 5 years. I should however say that the Flashback w/Metacity session can also be installed in Ubuntu GNOME Trusty but it's only supported for 3 years.

    So what's needed to get started? Well that's still the same as Precise.

    Step #1: Simply install 'gnome-panel':

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel
    Yep, that's it. In spite of session renaming that still installs all of the dependencies required and it has quite a small footprint in Ubuntu. The footprint in Ubuntu GNOME is a bit heavier because 'flashback' now uses 'unity-settings-daemon' and 'unity-control-center' instead of the GNOME versions of those same packages.

    Step #2: Log out, select the desired session, and log back in.

    Important Note: DO NOT select GNOME Flashback (Compiz) in Ubuntu GNOME unless you've also installed the package 'compiz'!

    Step #3: Enable the "panel-run-dialog" which can be quite useful if you bork your panels and/or menus:

    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings panel-run-dialog "['<Alt>F2']"
    Step #4: Consider what additional packages you may want.

    'indicator-applet' and/or 'indicator-applet-session' - as an alternative to 'indicator-applet-complete'

    'gnome-tweak-tool' - because it's quite convenient for general theming tweaks such as having the old-style icons appear on the desktop, setting the key sequence for killing X, and changing themes.

    'shiki-colors-metacity-theme' - because it provides a rather retro window management button theme

    'sensors-applet' - to display system temps

    'dconf-tools' which provides the dconf Editor UI.

    'caffeine' which serves as a replacement for 'gnome-inhibit-applet' so the screensaver can be disabled while viewing flash videos just by clicking on the "coffee cup" in the panel. It must initially be launched from the Accessories menu, but it's not in the standard Ubuntu repos so if you want it you'll have to install this PPA and update the repos:

    UPDATE: The current build of Caffeine (2.7.1) does not work in flashback! As a temporary workaround I copied version 2.5 to my own PPA.

    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lbsolost/ppa
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Of those I know I personally want 'indicator-applet' because I prefer using it along with the standard clock applet, 'gnome-tweak-tool', 'shiki-colors-metacity-theme', 'sensors-applet', 'dconf-tools', and 'caffeine'. I can do that in just one more command since I've already installed the caffeine PPA and updated the repos:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install indicator-applet shiki-colors-metacity-theme sensors-applet dconf-tools caffeine gnome-tweak-tool
    Note: If I'm starting with Ubuntu GNOME I additionally install 'light-themes' because ATM only the Ambiance theme seems to work well enough for my liking, and I believe you'll find that both 'gnome-tweak-tool' and 'dconf-tools' are already installed in Ubuntu GNOME.

    I can then begin configuring the panels and desktop to my liking. I prefer just one panel at the bottom but there is no "one size fits all":

    my_flashback.jpg

    Note: In order to edit panel preferences and add or remove panel applets in Flashback w/Metacity you must press Alt while right-clicking the panel, and in Flashback w/Compiz you must press Alt+Super while right-clicking panel.

    There are still a few things that must be done using either the dconf Editor or via CLI (the highlighted links show the actual position in the dconf Editor):

    Step #5: Move the window management buttons to the right if you wish:

    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout :minimize,maximize,close
    Step #6: Disable the overlay scrollbars if you wish:

    Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.desktop.interface scrollbar-mode normal
    Step #7: Disable the Unity webapps if you wish:

    Code:
    gsettings set com.canonical.unity.webapps integration-allowed false
    Step #8: Restore the missing menu and button icons:

    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true
    That's about all I know so far.

    Challenges and Known Issues - any help would be deeply appreciated

    #1: This scares me the most - I've not found a truly reliable method of backing up and restoring a customized configuration, or even resetting all defaults to an out-of-box configuration. I'm sure I'll figure it out but I've borked things badly enough a few times that I've had to completely reinstall the OS, not a big deal for me but that would really make some people mad! I have figured out a few things:

    (a) You can reset the panel configuration to it's defaults by running:

    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/gnome/gnome-panel/
    But that produces a false crash report so please don't file it. No log-out is needed but it takes at least one full minute for the panels to reset so please be patient.

    (b) Optionally you can reset the panel configuration to it's defaults by running:

    Code:
    XDG_MENU_PREFIX="gnome-flashback-" gnome-panel --replace &
    But that requires logging out or restarting via terminal or by the use of keyboard shortcut.

    (c) You can reset most general theming and desktop tweaks to their defaults by running:

    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/gnome/desktop/
    (d) If you bork the Main Menu it can be launched using the command "alacarte" either in a terminal or using the "panel-run-dialog" - no sudo is needed - then it can be reset to the default configuration.

    (e) You can also launch the dconf Editor using the "panel-run-dialog" if you know exactly what you're looking for. Here's one example where I found it quite useful.

    #2: The LibreOffice menu icons load very slowly. I've just been removing all but the main LibreOffice menu item, but I suppose a bug report should be filed?

    #3: Some (maybe most) keyboard shortcuts are not set to their respective defaults. This is where dconf Editor comes in handy. Here's an example.

    #4: Many of the themes I've tried have various problems. I'm sure the theme devs just need some time to catch up with the changes between GNOME 3.8 and 3.10.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; July 13th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Beans
    72
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    kn, the most stable tweak for me, so far, is a replication of my 12.10 environment.................

    Global dark theme...on

    Window theme...GnomishDark

    Gtk theme.........GnomishDark

    Icons................Azenis Icons (this gives the blue set)

    Cursor...............Redglass

    XScreensaver

    App and filesystem menus are via icons

    Problems so far, only two, when hovering the cursor over the far left top panel icons, flickering occurs, also Firefox can't integrate English (British) spellcheck set (Firefox bug?)

    Otherwise, AOK, Amarok, XBMC, Nero linux et al all bedded in.

    Keep up the good work, you are, as the yanks say, ma main man.

    Oh, the Ubuntu software centre is still, as ever, hopeless.

    Oh (2) any ideas on a "caps lock on" screen setting

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,113

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by malty View Post
    kn, the most stable tweak for me, so far, is a replication of my 12.10 environment.................

    Global dark theme...on

    Window theme...GnomishDark

    Gtk theme.........GnomishDark

    Icons................Azenis Icons (this gives the blue set)

    Cursor...............Redglass

    XScreensaver

    App and filesystem menus are via icons

    Problems so far, only two, when hovering the cursor over the far left top panel icons, flickering occurs, also Firefox can't integrate English (British) spellcheck set (Firefox bug?)

    Otherwise, AOK, Amarok, XBMC, Nero linux et al all bedded in.

    Keep up the good work, you are, as the yanks say, ma main man.

    Oh, the Ubuntu software centre is still, as ever, hopeless.

    Oh (2) any ideas on a "caps lock on" screen setting
    I have seen this:

    when hovering the cursor over the far left top panel icons, flickering occurs
    But not always.

    Otherwise I'm clueless right now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Beans
    9

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    hello,
    so, now as I said, with 14.04 running these are the issues I have left (also with a fresh user!)

    - custom keybindings are not possible!!! as You pointed out in your first post - the gconf ones are ignored, BUT at my installation, the custom ones in dconf, in org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys which you can set in unity-system-settings keyboard do not work either!
    - login lasts 10+ seconds, also with new user, have not investigated this further until now, any hints to do so?
    - the tooltips are not word-warped any more, making them hard to read if long text is written in there (a very special problem I must admit)

    the issue with crashing indicator applets is gone with new user, but the cpufreq-applet crashes

    when hovering the cursor over the far left top panel icons, flickering occurs
    that's definitely connected to the tooltips not warped, I have experienced this, too.
    Last edited by cedric5; May 1st, 2014 at 02:27 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,113

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by cedric5 View Post
    hello,
    so, now as I said, with 14.04 running these are the issues I have left (also with a fresh user!)

    - custom keybindings are not possible!!! as You pointed out in your first post - the gconf ones are ignored, BUT at my installation, the custom ones in dconf, in org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys which you can set in unity-system-settings keyboard do not work either!
    - login lasts 10+ seconds, also with new user, have not investigated this further until now, any hints to do so?
    - the tooltips are not word-warped any more, making them hard to read if long text is written in there (a very special problem I must admit)

    the issue with crashing indicator applets is gone with new user, but the cpufreq-applet crashes


    that's definitely connected to the tooltips not warped, I have experienced this, too.
    Did you see these:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12993104

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217817

    There's a lot I don't have figured out yet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ripon, CA USA
    Beans
    85
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Hello,

    Just wanted to add my experience. I just upgraded from Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04. I was running Gnome Flashback with 2 panels on the bottom of the screen. After the upgrade, only the desktop was present with no panels. I logged in using Gnome Flashback Compiz and got a top panel with nothing in it and a Unity side panel. Removed gnome-panel, gnome-flashback and with the Gnome Flashback Compiz log in I got the top panel populated with icons. Can't move, change, etc., the panel but it shows up. Reinstalled gnome-panel and the blank panel came back. This machine has been upgraded starting with 11.10 a couple of years back so I'm going to try a fresh install, probably have way too many ghosts hanging aroung in the closet. I've been wanting to go from 32 to 64 bit anyhow, and this may just be the time.
    Question, I downloaded Ubuntu Gnome for a test drive. It has a Unity side panel and a wierd pop out workspace manager on the right side. Is that the DE or can it be changed to the 2 panel Gnome "Classic" that I prefer for its ease of use and speed? Should I look at downloading Edubuntu or some other distro?

    Thanks,

    Jon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,113

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by jdallara View Post
    Hello,

    Just wanted to add my experience. I just upgraded from Ubuntu 13.10 to 14.04. I was running Gnome Flashback with 2 panels on the bottom of the screen. After the upgrade, only the desktop was present with no panels. I logged in using Gnome Flashback Compiz and got a top panel with nothing in it and a Unity side panel. Removed gnome-panel, gnome-flashback and with the Gnome Flashback Compiz log in I got the top panel populated with icons. Can't move, change, etc., the panel but it shows up. Reinstalled gnome-panel and the blank panel came back. This machine has been upgraded starting with 11.10 a couple of years back so I'm going to try a fresh install, probably have way too many ghosts hanging aroung in the closet. I've been wanting to go from 32 to 64 bit anyhow, and this may just be the time.
    Question, I downloaded Ubuntu Gnome for a test drive. It has a Unity side panel and a wierd pop out workspace manager on the right side. Is that the DE or can it be changed to the 2 panel Gnome "Classic" that I prefer for its ease of use and speed? Should I look at downloading Edubuntu or some other distro?

    Thanks,

    Jon
    You should be able to reset the panels to the out-of-box default with either of these commands:

    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/gnome/gnome-panel/
    That produces a false crash report so please don't file it. No log-out is needed but it takes at least one full minute for the panels to reset so please be patient.

    Code:
    XDG_MENU_PREFIX="gnome-flashback-" gnome-panel --replace &
    That one appears to require a "sudo reboot"

    Having parts of Unity linger may be related to this bug:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1232299

    The fix for that bug just hit the US repos a few hours ago.

    Ubuntu GNOME offers a new Classic session at login but it's truly a gnome-shell session with some cherry picked extensions, it's not configurable like gnome-panel.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; May 6th, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ripon, CA USA
    Beans
    85
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Neither reset did any good. I'm just going to do a fresh install. As I said I wanted to upgrade this machine to 64 bit anyhow. I just hadn't wanted to mess with the upgrade due to my disk configuration using raid 1 drives for / and the MBR. Maybe the 14.04 installer supports raid drives now? Ubuntu-GNOME isn't going to do it, so I'll just use the straight Ubuntu and try the gnome-panel approach. Below is what I'm trying to achieve in 14.04. The screenshot is my other system running 13.10 and I don't want to upgrade it until I know that gnome-panel will work

    Thanks, Jon

    Screenshot from 2014-05-06 12:30:15.jpg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    11,113

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Quote Originally Posted by jdallara View Post
    Neither reset did any good. I'm just going to do a fresh install. As I said I wanted to upgrade this machine to 64 bit anyhow. I just hadn't wanted to mess with the upgrade due to my disk configuration using raid 1 drives for / and the MBR. Maybe the 14.04 installer supports raid drives now? Ubuntu-GNOME isn't going to do it, so I'll just use the straight Ubuntu and try the gnome-panel approach. Below is what I'm trying to achieve in 14.04. The screenshot is my other system running 13.10 and I don't want to upgrade it until I know that gnome-panel will work

    Thanks, Jon

    Screenshot from 2014-05-06 12:30:15.jpg
    What's the dock on the left?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ripon, CA USA
    Beans
    85
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: My Trusty Flashback w/Metacity tweaks and challenges

    Not a dock, just the desktop. Guess it wasn't the best screenshot to use. Speaking of which, I was interested in Cairo after seeing some screenshots from CavsFan. He's running it on 14.10 but their web site doesn't have anything past 13.10, with the last site update being in Oct. 2013. Is Cairo supported or is it a grab the sources and try to see if it will compile? Synaptic is showing a version 3.3.99-beta1.2 which isn't listed on the web site. A little off topic I know, but a possible solution...

    thanks, Jon

    Screenshot from 2014-05-06 15:23:10.jpg

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •