Thread: cross platform diary app?

Beans

cross platform diary app?

Hi All

My quack (doctor) has advised me to keep a daily diary/journal regarding a medical condition, I thought I may as well use it to track my general thoughts day to day as well, problem is, what software to use.

Things I need:
    Cross platform (Android and Linux, this is critical),
    Some form of cloud connectivity so I can pick up and carry on from any of my devices (although using DropBox is fine for this)
    The ability to tag entries to help finding them later,
    Some calendar functions allowing quick jump to certain dates.
    And that's about it (although there may be more I've not thought of LOL)

I've spent the last couple of hours trying to find something that will fulfil these requirements without avail, so the software I'm looking may not exist, but if it does can somebody please tell me where to find it.

Thanks

~Mex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: cross platform diary app?

Hi

Why not just use the google account you use on your android phone/tablet. Google calender syncs across devices (anything that has a web browser) just by logging into google webpage on the device.(On android use the google calendar app or one of many others that sync with google calendar) Its a very comprehensive service which allows sharing calendars, multiple accounts (if you want to share some things but not others) notifications etc etc.

Roger

Beans

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by roger_1960 View Post
    Hi
    Why not just use the google account you use on your android phone/tablet. Google calender syncs across devices (anything that has a web browser) just by logging into google webpage on the device.(On android use the google calendar app or one of many others that sync with google calendar) Its a very comprehensive service which allows sharing calendars, multiple accounts (if you want to share some things but not others) notifications etc etc.
    Unless calender has functions I'm not aware of (quite probably), I'm not really sure how this would fulfil my needs, can you explain a little more?

~Mex

Beans

Hi Mex,

I am also looking for a journal that is specifically tailored to keep track of medical conditions that generates charts. However, if you just need a good cross-platform journal I highly recommend rednotebook. You can find it in the repositories. It works with Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can create templates, tag your entries, and export everything to PDF. Here's a review: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-...admin-journal/. If you hook it up with Dropbox, it will show up on all your computers all the time

Please do let me know though if you find a journal for keeping track of blood sugar and pressure.

Best regards,
    David

Edit: I just noticed that you need Android compatibility too. Rednotebook meets all your other criteria
    Last edited by David_Kirba; April 27th, 2014 at 05:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can add notes to "events" that you add to google calendar. Evernote is another alternative. You can use nixnote on linux or the web-based client to add and read notes. There are some ways to link evernote to calendar events, but simple timestamps should be enough. You can also tag entries with the Month and Year for searching later. It's not clear how using a calendar would help with journaling.

Are you getting enough sunlight?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.