Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB ports not working

Beans

Re: USB ports not working

once again i booted up my laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 n the other USB ports started working again, but now i turned my laptop back on n their not working, so if i cant fix this problem then i just have to reboot ubuntu about 30 times or until the usb ports work again....

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Look through the syslog files (/var/log/syslog and archieved ones as well) and see if there are any error messages for USB controllers, etc.. If you find errors in the log, post them back here along with a few lines before and after the error.

Beans

It would also help to post the dmesg parts concerning your USB devices. Plug the same USB device into each of your USB connectors and post the pertinent dmesg part. For example, run dmesg -C; plug the device; run dmesg | tail. It may be helpful to repeat this procedure with other types of USB devices.

Sorry, this needs some detective work and patience.

Beans

checked the syslog didnt notice any errors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geral-k View Post
    It would also help to post the dmesg parts concerning your USB devices. Plug the same USB device into each of your USB connectors and post the pertinent dmesg part. For example, run dmesg -C; plug the device; run dmesg | tail. It may be helpful to repeat this procedure with other types of USB devices.

Sorry, this needs some detective work and patience.
    u mean plug a usb in 1 port test it then plug that same one in another port? or use the usb stick already plugged in with ubuntu on it n Plug that one in another port?

Beans

Supposing Ubuntu boots fine using port 1, then plug your stick into this port and boot. Then plug another USB device (for example another USB stick) into each of the remaining free ports, and report the results from applying the previously described procedure for every port. Then repeat the cycle using a different kind of USB device (for example, an external disk). Please make a full and clear report. This may help us find whether there is a problem in any of the ports.

Also, since you have mentioned it: can you boot Ubuntu flawlessly using any of the USB ports? Or does it boot only if you use a certain port?

You have not mentioned what notebook brand and model you are working with. Please do so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12