Thread: pdf reader

Beans

pdf reader

my PDF is read default with Libre Office and it screws it all up. What other PDF reader is better and how do I make it the default reader??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: pdf reader

I'm not running Lubuntu.In Ubuntu pdfs are opened by document Viewer - Evince.
    In Software Center there are many alternatives.Okular is a good one

To set the default application for a specific file type, locate a file of that type in the file manager, right-click it, and select Properties.
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; April 26th, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
    14.10 amd64

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

use evince or firefox to open pdf files
    gimp can also be used
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trav9595 View Post
    my PDF is read default with Libre Office and it screws it all up. What other PDF reader is better and how do I make it the default reader??
    Right click a pdf file, go to Properties where you can choose the default application.

Beans

Paulgirardin has mentioned Okular which is now my regular pdf viewer, it has never given me trouble.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

The default in Ubuntu is Evince. As already said by Paulgirardin and andrew.46, Okular is really rather good. My goto reader is usually epdfview, though it appears no longer to be in the Ubuntu repos...

You can set the default viewer for PDFs by right clicking a PDF file and choosing Open With Other Application... and choosing a program from the list, ensuring Use as default for this kind of file is checked before clicking Open. Alternatively, you can use XFCE Menu -> Settings Manager -> MIME Type Editor and reset the file type on PDF files.
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?