Thread: More SFTP questions

Beans

More SFTP questions

Hi Guys,

I'm still playing with SFTP and have a number of issues:

1) If I run sftp user@host on the host itself I can successfully connect to sftp. However if I try this through Core FTP - I get "Permission Denied - Data port failed - Error loading directory"
    2) If I try and connect to SSH through Putty I login and am booted straight out - I guess the Permission denied issue above has different effects for Putty
    3) Is it possible to have some users Chrooted with others not? Its just if I connect through Putty I want full server control but with SFTP i'm limiting the path access. Does sudo break out of restrictions set in place for SFTP/SSH?
    4) Oh and late addition: SSH from the localhost errors as well with permission denied? SFTP fine.

Thanks

Antony
    Last edited by antony7; April 26th, 2014 at 08:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: More SFTP questions

For question #3, yes, it is possible to chroot some users and not others. Use the Match directive to define which group to apply the chroot to.

Code:
    Subsystem sftp internal-sftp

Match Group sftp-only
            ChrootDirectory /home
            AllowTCPForwarding no
            X11Forwarding no
            ForceCommand internal-sftp -d %u
    Then just add the users to be chrooted to the group sftp-only. Users not in that group will have normal access, assuming that the rest of the configuration is left as it was with the defaults. That arrangement also forces SFTP and disallows shell access for the group.

Beans

That is super thanks. By amending my user to be in the root group rather than my remotefileaccess I bypassed the MatchGroup parameters. The issue however is that for some reason the user did not have the correct permissions to my /var/www/%USER/www folder so when they logged in Chrooted it said permission denied. But great help. THanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

/var/www/%USER/www should be owned by the user, but the ones above it owned by root.

Code:
    sudo chown root:root /var/www
    sudo chown root:root /var/www/*
    sudo chmod 755 /var/www
    sudo chmod 755 /var/www/*
    (You could also use 701 instead of 755.)

Then you can chroot to %u and cd to /var/www/%u/www, which will appear as /www inside the chroot.

Code:
    ChrootDirectory /var/www/%u
    ForceCommand internal-sftp -d /www
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; April 27th, 2014 at 09:24 AM.

Beans

deleted. Sorry.
    Last edited by Adonosonix; April 27th, 2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: deletion