Thread: 14.04 Sound Problem (has been following the step in PowerPCFAQ but still not working)

Beans

14.04 Sound Problem (has been following the step in PowerPCFAQ but still not working)

I am new to the Ubuntu family and I have just deployed Lubuntu in my PowerBookG4.

Thanks to the folks in the fourm, I can overcome serveral problems in the deployment of my Lubuntu, such as the dark screen, but there is no luck in the sound problem.

I have already followed the advices in PowerPCFAQ to enable snd_sos_* in /etc/modules and remove the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.local.conf (actually I have renamed it) following a reboot,

However, it does not work in my PowerBookG4.

The following show my /etc/modules

leo@PowerBookG4:~$ cat /etc/modules
    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
    # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
    # Parameters can be specified after the module name.

apm_emu
    i2c-dev
    #snd-powermac
    #snd_powermac
    snd-aoa-i2sbus
    snd-aoa-fabric-layout
    snd-aoa-codec-tas
    snd-aoa-onyx
    snd-aoa

On the other hand, I have also evlaute my alsa package by running alsa-info.sh.

The following link to the result:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d3...f1344278c328ed

It is strange that it does not recognize my PowerBookG4 in DMI Information and there is no sound card discovered by ALSA.

I have been searching for a solution from day to night and I am still cannot find a clue.

Can anyone give me a helping hand, please?

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: 14.04 Sound Problem (has been following the step in PowerPCFAQ but still not work

You'll find more info on the known issues page. Unfortunately some users will have to to compile kernel modules to fix sound in 12.10 - 14.04. This is a generic problem with any recent PowerPC distro. 12.04 still has 3 years of support so is probably the best option still for many.

Beans

Re: 14.04 Sound Problem (has been following the step in PowerPCFAQ but still not work

Hi rsavage,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a look to the download page of Lubuntu 12.04 and it said that the support for this version has been ended on October 2013.

Will I receive update as I use 12.04 now?

By the way, I will have a try on compiling the kernel by myself.

Any other advices are also welcome!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

hi, I have the exact same problem!
    So do others. Please mark this bug effecting you
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...t/+bug/1296373

Lubuntu 12.04 will not be receiving any updates to the Lubuntu components, however all the other Ubuntu components will.
    I would very much like to have this bug fixed, so please update the bug with your info, as well!

Beans

Dear Trees,

Thank you for your advice.

I have followed your link and marked the bug effecting me as well.

I am going to give up 14.04 and install a 12.04 to have a try.

By the way, I found that my PowerBookG4 is recognized as PowerBook 3, 5 in Lubuntu.

Should I stick on using snd_powermac instead of using snd_aoa_*?

I am lost now...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think sound works fine in 12.04

Beans

Red face Re: 14.04 Sound Problem (has been following the step in PowerPCFAQ but still not work

Thanks all!!

I have my Lubuntu 12.04 running in my PowerBook G4 and it is running well.

I have no more problem of the monitor and sound out of the box and the disappearing fonts problem was solved automatically after software updated.

I have encountered only the Network Problem and I can find a solution easily following advice here.

http://osjayaprakash.blogspot.hk/201...ction-not.html

I am now very happy using my PowerBook G4 with 12.04.

I really hope that Ubuntu will fix PPC issue soon on next release of Lubuntu so that I can upgrade my PowerBook using the latest version of OS.