Thread: [Android] Use dial-up on Android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[Android] Use dial-up on Android

Well, Android is technically a Linux distro xD. Ok, the real reason I'm posting here is because I like this community. Anyway, what I am wondering is if there is a way that you can use dial-up WITH an Android phone. I'm thinking of getting one, but the data plans are expensive. So, what I'm saying is that the phone itself calls the dial-up number, like a 56k modem, and acts like a normal network connection, therefore not costing anything extra with unlimited call time, and still having internet access anywhere (actually a better range because some places have phone coverage but not 3G). Is this in any possible? (and don't say that I could try ____ because I don't have an android phone right now)
    "I used to think I knew a lot about computers. Then I tried Ubuntu."
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [Android] Use dial-up on Android

Bump #1
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Extremely late Bump #2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It would be easier to just stick to wifi.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

There used to be ways to dial up to vendor-supplied PPP server. I recall that was a not-well-advertised offering from Cingular many years ago. I doubt such offerings exist any more in a world with 4G data plans and wifi.

Charles is right that using wifi with Android is your best bet if you are some place where you can connect to a hotspot. Most of the time I'm on wifi connections, and my T-Mobile data plan lies fallow. T-Mobile also routes voice phone calls over wifi if the phone is connected that way. Then you're not being charged for minutes. If I'm in my car or otherwise out and about, I use 4G. Forty bucks per month seems the standard entry price for cellular service with a modest data plan these days.

In Google's Play Store there is an app called "PPP Widget" that might do what you're looking for. You'd still need a modem it appears.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 6th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users