Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Audacity under Trusty Tahr: Building it with FFmpeg

Beans

Re: Audacity under Trusty Tahr: Building it with FFmpeg

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    @andrew.46, I successfully followed the procedure you provided in the first post but I have a question regarding "cleaning up". What can be removed from the ~/audacity_build folder? Could you please explain?
    At the moment it would perhaps be best to leave the FFmpeg libraries where they are, although Ron has suggested a great alternative. I am working on a hacked makefile that will install all of the required FFmpeg libraries in with the Audacity package and this will mean that once Audacity is installed the entire build folder can be deleted and forgotten about. This would be a method of automating Ron's great idea .

I just need available time to work on this and get it just right, my Real Life™ is somewhat busy at the moment .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Thanks, andrew.46 and Ron998
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

One issue that I need to definitively resolve is: where is the best place to store the libraries that Audacity will use? What I would like to avoid is other media applications, particularly when being compiled, finding and attempting to use these quite dated libraries. It is a relatively simple matter to change the destination of these files from within the patched Makefile.in so I have some options to play with. The default Trusty $PATH is:

Code:
    andrew@hellas:~$ echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
    which I can see totally ignores /opt completely so this might be a great option when I finalise the makefile. Possibly I could use:

Code:
     # install FFmpeg libraries for a certain Ubuntu guide :)
    $(INSTALL) -d /opt/$(AUDACITY_NAME)/lib/FFmpeg
    $(INSTALL) -m 644 $(HOME)/audacity_build/audacity_deps/usr/lib/libavcodec* /opt/$(AUDACITY_NAME)/lib/FFmpeg
    $(INSTALL) -m 644 $(HOME)/audacity_build/audacity_deps/usr/lib/libavformat* /opt/$(AUDACITY_NAME)/lib/FFmpeg
    $(INSTALL) -m 644 $(HOME)/audacity_build/audacity_deps/usr/lib/libavutil* /opt/$(AUDACITY_NAME)/lib/FFmpeg
    but this is pretty ugly as it is and would really need a separate variable for FFMPEGLIBS install path (for example) and then strictly speaking an uninstall routine even though we are using checkinstall. Perhaps I won't be all that fussy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

The path you be concerned about is the linker (ld) path, not particularly bin.
    With audacity configured with dynamic loading /opt or /opt/whatever is fine, users have to point audacity to the lib(s) anyway.

Slightly off topic -
    Debian/Ubuntu disables dynamic loading so the ffmpeg .so's are auto added but have to be in a default linker path or audacity will error at runtime.
    (- unless started under an export or env for LD_LIBRARY_PATH= which works fine but is a hair slower on opening

It's likely the only real issue installing the .so's to a default path is if same name .so or .so links are also installed by system libs, ex. "libavcodec.so" which seems be a part of your current install/method. (libavcodec.so is part of libavcodec-dev, not libavcodec54 package as far as system packages
    (- one way around that is to employ ffmpeg's --build-suffix= option though not needed for this guide, ect.
    Last edited by mc4man; April 30th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The path you be concerned about is the linker (ld) path, not particularly bin.
    With audacity configured with dynamic loading /opt or /opt/whatever is fine, users have to point audacity to the lib(s) anyway.
    Hi mc4man
    But if those 6 files are kept in, for example
    /usr/local/share/audacity/audacity_library
    or
    /usr/local/share/audacity/lib
    or
    /usr/local/share/audacity/foo

Is there any realistic chance that another program will try to link to them?
    (unless we deliberately do something dumb like LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/share/audacity/audacity_library")

Is it possible, or are we wearing tinfoil hats?
    Last edited by ron998; May 1st, 2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Only 6 files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ron998 View Post
    Hi mc4man
    But if those 9 files are kept in, for example
    /usr/local/share/audacity/audacity_library
    or
    /usr/local/share/audacity/lib
    or
    /usr/local/share/audacity/foo

Is there any realistic chance that another program will try to link to them?
    (unless we deliberately do something dumb like LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/share/audacity/audacity_library")

Is it possible ....
    No , not at all. If you did happen to install into the linker search path, which this guide & your example are not, then it's possible if building some other source it would use them instead of the intended ones. As far as loader path in same scenario maybe there is some odd app or 2 that uses the generic .so (libavcodec.so, ect.) vs. more specific like libavcodec.so.54, ect.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    ... It's likely the only real issue installing the .so's to a default path is if same name .so or .so links are also installed by system libs, ex. "libavcodec.so" which seems be a part of your current install/method. (libavcodec.so is part of libavcodec-dev, not libavcodec54 package)...
    Hi
    I've had a second thoughts, hold the front page.

Audacity doesn't need these 3 files:-
    libavcodec.so
    libavformat.so
    libavutil.so

It only needs these 6 files (not 9):-
    libavcodec.so.53
    libavcodec.so.53.61.100
    libavformat.so.53
    libavformat.so.53.32.100
    libavutil.so.51
    libavutil.so.51.35.100

Beans

I wasn't able to compile Audacity
    Code:
    checking for wx-config... /usr/local/bin/wx-config

Warning: No config found to match: /usr/local/bin/wx-config --unicode=yes --version
               in /usr/local/lib/wx/config
      If you require this configuration, please install the desired
      library build.  If this is part of an automated configuration
      test and no other errors occur, you may safely ignore it.
      You may use wx-config --list to see all configs available in
      the default prefix.

configure: Checking that the chosen version of wxWidgets is 2.8.x
    configure: error: Unable to locate a suitable configuration of wxWidgets v2.8.x or higher.
    The currently available configurations are listed below.  If necessary, either
    install the package for your distribution or download the latest version of
    wxWidgets
    from http://wxwidgets.org.

Default config is gtk2-ansi-release-2.8

Default config will be used for output
    I have tried to install wxWidgets, but still can't compile Audacity. Is there any solution?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pcrolandhu View Post
    ... Is there any solution?
    Hi

Run this command again:-
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -y install libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev libsndfile1-dev \
    libsoxr-dev libexpat1-dev libgtk2.0-dev libasound2-dev libmad0-dev \
    libportaudio-dev libflac++-dev libid3tag0-dev libsbsms-dev libsoundtouch-dev \
    libtwolame-dev libportaudio-dev libmp3lame-dev libid3tag0-dev libfaac-dev \
    libopencore-amrnb-dev libopencore-amrwb-dev
    Make sure everything is "already the newest version".

Beans

I ran it as you sad, then apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, but I still can't compile it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast