Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I am ready to make a serious attempt at using Ubuntu! But where do I start?

Beans

Re: I am ready to make a serious attempt at using Ubuntu! But where do I start?

Quote Originally Posted by Goten0007 View Post
    Word of caution though: In my case XP was first, win7 was 2nd and Ubuntu was 3rd in that order of installations (It wasn't planned but that was how it was and is suppose to be). I've some people try it and ending up breaking their MBR, if that happens you will end up going through lot of loops. I suggest you ''carefully'' looking at some tut's or Youtube vids for this. You're not the first to try that and believe me you wont be last. If you're going to experiment, at least try to learn as much as possible from it. Then even if it is failure, you probably wont regret it.

I used wine to run few of my favourites, but I eventually let go of it completely. It was not worth the effort.
    Goten0007,

Fortunately as luck would have it my boot order is the same as you describe, minus of course Ubuntu. That page about multi-booting although outdated, still had a lot of information that was useful, if not applicable to my situation, due to upgrades of Linux and Grub. There is no rush to set this thing up, I can play with the install of LUBUNTU on the old machine while I am studying things here.

You were able to do it with not a lot of trouble or so it sounded, but I think that "chance favors the prepared mind" So I want to be prepared!

I'll look at YouTube and see if I find any more tutorials elsewwhere.

Thank you and I'll be in touch via the forum!

J T
    Last edited by J Tinsby; May 1st, 2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Correction needed

Beans

Hi oldfred,

Thanks for even more useful information, breaking the bonds of MS for me isn't easy, but as you can see I am willing to try. Win 7 64 is working like a charm, there's a long story to that I'm sure you don't want to hear, in the end it's fine.

The LUBUNTU on the older machine is working like a charm, so there's one less thing to worry about if the wife decides to go online for some reason, she won't be using XP. Really tho' there's nothing of value excapt the Os on that machine anyway but it's great as a test bed for me!

I don't do any finanaical stuff here as you do, mostly my time is taken editing music files or photos that I have taken or been given to enchance or repair.

I already like the simplicoty of Linuz and can see why more people use it.

Don't know how the multi-boot thing will work for me but intend to tread lightly, the url you gave me was informative. I never realized there were so many OTHER programs working to make an OS boot up, like so many others I thought it was just the MBR.

Thanks!

J T

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If your Windows 7 is working well one of the best things to do is a full image backup.

In Windows it is all one system. But Linux has many developers and each part is often developed separately and then has its own name. Boot loaders used to be lilo, then grub (now legacy), and now grub2. And I am sure there were (are) many others.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post
    Goten0007,

Fortunately as luck would have it my boot order is the same as you describe, minus of course Ubuntu. That page about multi-booting although outdated, still had a lot of information that was useful, if not applicable to my situation, due to upgrades of Linux and Grub. There is no rush to set this thing up, I can play with the install of LUBUNTU on the old machine while I am studying things here.

You were able to do it with not a lot of trouble or so it sounded, but I think that "chance favors the prepared mind" So I want to be prepared!

I'll look at YouTube and see if I find any more tutorials elsewwhere.

Thank you and I'll be in touch via the forum!

J T
    Well, I did have it easy. I only recently came to know what Grub is and what made my life easier was actually grub, so you can imagine.lol They do say that luck favours the brave.
    Though my bravado came from me buying 1TB external back-up HD and I was more than willing to change things.

Tut's = Tutorials. You might find lot of step by step explained guides if you tried to search on google or Duckduckgo. I'm sure there are videos too.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: I am ready to make a serious attempt at using Ubuntu! But where do I start?

Well, I did have it easy. I only recently came to know what Grub is and what made my life easier was actually grub, so you can imagine.lol They do say that luck favours the brave.
    Though my bravado came from me buying 1TB external back-up HD and I was more than willing to change things.

Tut's = Tutorials. You might find lot of step by step explained guides if you tried to search on google or Duckduckgo. I'm sure there are videos too.
    Hi Goten0007,

Some of the videos are very helpful and others are of such dreadful quality they look like they were made during an earthquake! Makes me sick to my stomach to watch them w/o taking some seasick medicine

I found a very interesting one on YouTube that shows a "non traditional" was of installing Linux, that lets the MBR of Windows alone and puts Grub on the /home partition.That way, according to the author, if Grub fails you still have the MBR to use or vice versa. Seemed to be a very clever way of preserving things if an update of some sort changes Grub or it gets corrupted. I wonder if you have ever heard of or used this method?

Here's the link if you'd like to watch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0 ( I could find a lot of things to complain about in this one RE: the quality, but I found it easy to understand and ignored the focus problems etc.)

Like you I have a 1TB external drive that has all my partition backups on it it. So I guess I need to find the nerve to "just DO it!" I was advised by the Acronis forum NOT to use the "Try" mode for things that pertain to booting so I'm glad I asked that one.

Have to nip off now but will of course be here and keeping in touch. Tons more questions will ensue but I'll try and solve them and not be a problem child.

Cheers,

J T

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If your Windows 7 is working well one of the best things to do is a full image backup.

In Windows it is all one system. But Linux has many developers and each part is often developed separately and then has its own name. Boot loaders used to be lilo, then grub (now legacy), and now grub2. And I am sure there were (are) many others.
    Hi oldfred,

Yes I have multiple image backups of all 3 partitions so I'm just reading a lot and trying to learn how other folks have done it. If you look at my reply to Goten0007 you'll see a link that I found interesting. If the described method is good I wonder why it's not done commonly? Looks like the triple boot can be done, I just need some quiet time, preferably without one of my Bengal cats sitting on my shoulders, to dive in and DO IT!

Always appreciate the info that you supply thanks!

Take care,

J T

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by J Tinsby View Post
    Hi Goten0007,

Some of the videos are very helpful and others are of such dreadful quality they look like they were made during an earthquake! Makes me sick to my stomach to watch them w/o taking some seasick medicine

I found a very interesting one on YouTube that shows a "non traditional" was of installing Linux, that lets the MBR of Windows alone and puts Grub on the /home partition.That way, according to the author, if Grub fails you still have the MBR to use or vice versa. Seemed to be a very clever way of preserving things if an update of some sort changes Grub or it gets corrupted. I wonder if you have ever heard of or used this method?

Here's the link if you'd like to watch : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0 ( I could find a lot of things to complain about in this one RE: the quality, but I found it easy to understand and ignored the focus problems etc.)

Like you I have a 1TB external drive that has all my partition backups on it it. So I guess I need to find the nerve to "just DO it!" I was advised by the Acronis forum NOT to use the "Try" mode for things that pertain to booting so I'm glad I asked that one.

Have to nip off now but will of course be here and keeping in touch. Tons more questions will ensue but I'll try and solve them and not be a problem child.

Cheers,

J T
    Lmao, well, get used to it as you'll find those same people making video's about all sorts of Linux related things and they are mostly same.

I haven't tried anything like that, and as my Windows days are over so I don't think there will be ever need to. But that sounds very informative, I'll bookmark that link, thanks ^^
    I actually regret wasting my time and making my machine go through so much harassment just to keep Windows around.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Some here have used EasyBCD and say it works.

But it requires you to install grub2 to a PBR, with old grub legacy that worked, but grub2 is a lot larger and does not fit. So it converts to blocklists which are hardcoded addresses. If any grub files moves on hard drive from update or even a fsck then you have to boot with Ubuntu repair and reinstall grub.

Windows is not a multi-boot system. It will multi-boot several Windows.
    The EasyBCD solution actually uses grub4dos which is based on grub legacy to do a chain load to grub2 in PBR - partition boot sector.

Reinstalling a boot loader is very easy. But you need a Windows repair CD or flash drive for current version of Windows and Ubuntu live installer to add Boot-Repair into or other Linux repair drive. I have both Boot-Repair, Supergrub, gparted, parted-magic, knoppix and maybe a few others as ISO on repair flash drives.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: I am ready to make a serious attempt at using Ubuntu! But where do I start?

Lmao, well, get used to it as you'll find those same people making video's about all sorts of Linux related things and they are mostly same.

I haven't tried anything like that, and as my Windows days are over so I don't think there will be ever need to. But that sounds very informative, I'll bookmark that link, thanks ^^
    I actually regret wasting my time and making my machine go through so much harassment just to keep Windows around.

I hope you get to read this, I tried to install Ubuntu today and was befuddled by the installer messages I got.

I SHRANK a larger partition and made an unallocated 75GB partition on my drive, using Win 7, where I wanted to put Ubuntu.

I fully understand that I can't make a Linux partition using Windows.

When I got to the installing part, I chose "Something else" like I did in Lubuntu. I expected to see the various NTFS partitions and the 75 GB one that was unallocated. Instead I saw only the whole drive and kept getting messages that if I install the bootloader there, all other partitions will be gone! Grrrr! Not what I wanted to see. I thought, wrongly so that I'd get a chance to format the 75 GB new partition to ext4 and go from there but I couldn't find a way to do it.

What did I do wrong? I didn't know to start a new thread or keep going with this one, looks like a lot are reading it fwiw.

Thanks you Goten0007!

J T
    Last edited by J Tinsby; May 6th, 2014 at 12:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please attach screen shots, not in line. Not everyone has high speed Internet and it can lock up a slow system.
    You can easily attach with Go Advanced reply editor and paper clip icon in edit panel.

You do not create partitions with Windows. It cannot create Linux partitions and may convert to dynamic partitions which has no undo and does not work with Linux. Best to use Windows to shrink a NTFS partition. If you want to create partitions in advance use gparted.

Post this:
    sudo parted -l

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast