Thread: UK keyboard 14.04 Best way I have found to restore

Beans

UK keyboard 14.04 Best way I have found to restore

I notice that many others have trouble getting the keyboard layout of their country in U 14.04. I do not undertsand some of the solutions given as I am an absolute novice. Whilst "setxkbmap gb" gives a UK board temporarily it is not a permanent solution. I have found that by installing the latest U 14.04 BETA and then letting it update to the final release that the updates leave the ability to determine the keyboard mapping intact.

Hope this helps somebody. It did me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: UK keyboard 14.04 Best way I have found to restore

I find it simpler to use the GUI tools provided. System Settings -> Keyboard -> Text entry link.

Maybe you have come across threads where people are describing unusual situations, or have unknowingly caused a problem in their system settings. I doubt whether keyboard layout problems are really that common.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thank you. That does work now that I have installed from Beta. That facility did not work from the Final Release installation I made. I had read that others had had the same problem.

Beans

Mr. Coffeecat, If what I have writen is rubbish, please remove it. i do not want to mislead anyone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I wouldn’t call it rubbish. You found a problem and a solution which worked for you and you posted it to be helpful to others. And for that, thanks. Thinking about what you said a little more, I wonder if there was a bug late in the 14.04 development, although I couldn't find reference to one when I had a quick look in our development forum. Anyway, let's hope that keyboard problems in 14.04 are not too common. I'm happy to leave this thread here because others may have something interesting to add. But if you are more comfortable with having the thread removed, I'll do that. Let me know either by posting to this thread or by pm.

A belated welcome to the forum!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Thinking about what you said a little more, I wonder if there was a bug late in the 14.04 development, although I couldn't find reference to one when I had a quick look in our development forum. Anyway, let's hope that keyboard problems in 14.04 are not too common.
    I think you might be right. I just upgraded and found my keyboard switched to US from UK. I went to Text Entry Settings ... and that had UK top of the list and US second. I deleted US from the list and all is well.