Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing and downloading Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

Beans

Installing and downloading Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

I installed Kubuntu on my XP laptop. It took about 20 minutes. I wanted it to erase Windows but of course it didn't. How do I find the so-called ISO file? I looked in Bios, but it's not there. I did a 'search' of ISO files but it's not among those. How can I find it? Thanks for any help to a beginner.

Beans

Re: Installing and downloading Kubuntu 14.04 LTS

OK, It's possible that we need more detail here.

How did you install kubuntu? Did you download the Iso from the kubuntu site? In which case it will be in your download directory/folder unless there was something that erased it after you had used it for the install. ( you could use something like 'recova' in your windows OS to find it if that is the case. No promises mind)

Now that you have installed it you no longer need it, so don't worry. If you find it you can copy it to a DVD for future reference if you want it.

Good luck, PM.
    I was dual boot windows/Kubuntu for years before I got rid of Windows.

Beans

Thanks for reply 'madasmaddad2'. I couldn't find any references to 'download directory/folder on my WinXP. I can't find the Kubutu file anywhere. Should I download it again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To burn a LiveDVD or USB you can use UNetbootin. Make sure you download the correct version of Kubuntu. There is a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version; you need to know which will be suitable for your computer. 64 bit will work only on a 64 bit computer and 32 bit will work on both 32 and 64 bit computer.
    Last edited by SuperFreak; April 25th, 2014 at 12:43 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans

Do you HAVE to burn the Kubuntu file to a DVD or USB? Won't it just erase XP on download?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You will have to burn a bootable ISO to DVD or USB but the link I gave you will help you with that. Downloading will not erase XP but you need to be careful when you install Kubuntu as then it is possible. Further instructions will be given once you have a botable DVD or USB...Follow the link

Those instructions are for USB sticks if you want to burn to DVD use this http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dvd-on-windows
    Last edited by SuperFreak; April 25th, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Robin, I suggest you start by reading this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

This forum would be full of complaints if Ubuntu just started installing itself upon download!
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks guys. I have read the recommendations. However, I downloaded the 32-bit version of Kubuntu 14.04 again, after it was finished, the dialog box disappeared and I still cannot find any trace of the file on my Windows XP. I had A blank DVD in the laptop but nothing!
    How do I find this file to burn it? I am using "Express Burn".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Perrett View Post
    Thanks guys. I have read the recommendations. However, I downloaded the 32-bit version of Kubuntu 14.04 again, after it was finished, the dialog box disappeared and I still cannot find any trace of the file on my Windows XP. I had A blank DVD in the laptop but nothing!
    How do I find this file to burn it? I am using "Express Burn".
    1. You should be able to use Windows XP file explorer to search for any file with iso extension ( *.iso)
    2. Once you find the iso choose iso burner... copied this snip from NCH site ISO burner will record ISO images to disc
    3. You'll need to reboot your machine - be certain to choose the dvd you've just burned.
    4. You can choose to try Ubuntu without installing - I strongly suggest that you do that prior to installing. If you find during the try session that your computer is working the way you expected you can choose to install during the trial session.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel Celeron 1.5 Ghz | 2 Gb mem | Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you're using Firefox, you should see the file in the Downloads folder in your home. I think Internet Explorer does the same, but you're not using that, right?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast