Thread: Successful migration to 14.04 ...

Beans

Successful migration to 14.04 ...

After a little work I think I have successfully migrated Ubuntu AMD-64bit 12.04 to 14.04.

I note that 14.04's root foot print is much smaller:
    12.04 used 13GB while my new 14.04 uses 6.1GB.

I have my boot hard drive setup with two root partitions - one for my daily use and the other
    for the next distribution of Ubuntu, and my /home in a third partition.
    I have:
    /dev/sda1 15GB / for 14.04
    /dev/sda2 8GB Swap
    /dev/sda3 80GB /home
    /dev/sda4 15GB / for 12.04

I have quite a number of applications loaded: VirtualBox, Monodevelop, X10 controls,
    Stellarium, Shutter, Samba, Compiz, Gnome desktop, Scummvm, DOSBOX, and on and on.
    Took some time to install and configure the way I wanted along with some research on how
    to do various configurations.

What I really like about Ubuntu 14.04 is the way Places -> Network works now - much better than 12.04

What I don't like is the way windows maximize automatically when you move them to the top - got to
    find out how to disable that.

I do think that 14.04 was the easiest to migrate of all the prior Ubuntu distributions I have done.

I know over the next few weeks more tweaks and updates will be sent out.
    So far looks like a winner distro.

Carl
    Carl
    My other hobby is antique Radios and TV restoration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Successful migration to 14.04 ...

Moved to Ubuntu Linux and OS Chat
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
    What I don't like is the way windows maximize automatically when you move them to the top - got to
    find out how to disable that.
    Ubuntu 12.04 definitely did that too. You must have disabled it some time in the last two years.

You can disable it again in Compizconfig-settings-manager.

But yes, 14.04 is excellent. Been running it on my netbook for a month or so, just upgraded my desktop. Apart from nouveau drivers crashing (which, unfortunately, is nothing new) and forcing me to install the Nvidia proprietary driver, I'm absolutely at home with 14.04. Love it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I looked all through CCSM and can't find how to disable that automatically maximizing window feature.

Re Nvidia, I am running with nvidia-current drivers. On initial install my desktop would freeze - had to go through
    Recovery and sudo apt-get remove nvidia* and then sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Somehow I sense some minor delays in responsiveness with some Compiz actions - setting in CCSM or Nvidia driver I'm using?
    Carl

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cwmoser View Post
    I looked all through CCSM and can't find how to disable that automatically maximizing window feature.
    Although this isn't a support thread, I'll tell you that one for free. If only because it ticks me off as well. I like to decide when I want a window maximised.

CCSM -> Windows Management -> Grid -> Corners/Edges tab -> Top Edge -> Change dropdown to None.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

CoffeeCat, thanks for the freebie.
    It was an irritating feature.
    Carl