Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

Comparing Vista (or better yet "Shista") to Ubuntu is far far from comparison. I installed Ubuntu on my laptop which had Vista on it and my CPU fan doesn't work half as hard as when it did when I had Vista on this thing. I could warm my hands on the output of the fan the processor was working so hard. Linux is a big time winner and I am telling people about it more and more. I've used it long before (Linux Mandrake) but when I got this laptop I could get a distro that would accept my keyboard. Now I finally have and I'll never go back to windows. Just my 2 cents.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My only 14.04 problem has been Google's Chromium browser, which somehow stopped accepting keyboard input. A quick web search told me to turn off the ibus processes, which did the trick. I don't know if it's an ibus bug or a Chromium bug, but everything else seems to be peachy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Been testing 3 flavors of 14.04 and must say it's solid on my computers.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

Ubuntu , Vista?
    The 1 thing I do like on Linux is that for me everything just seems to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a very good trolling effort on the part of the OP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by WogBoy View Post
    Ubuntu , Vista?
    The 1 thing I do like on Linux is that for me everything just seems to work.
    Yep. I agree. I just upgraded my harddrive to a samsung ssd, upgraded my power supply and my graphics card.. Reinstalled ubuntu on a dual monitor setup.. Yep. Other than the painful experience of selecting "apply" for my propietary driver.. Yep. It was horrendious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu 14.04 installed and booted fine. The only problem was video playback. The problem was 100% identical under both vlc and smplayer. I installed the lubuntu-desktop just to check and found that the problem was gone. My hardware is 6yrs old now and Unity is too much for it. I did a clean install of Lubuntu 14.04 and the system is pretty fast. No hardware issues whatsoever.
    Lubuntu 14.04 / Manjaro (openbox)
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even like.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GeForce 6150s do not support VDPAU which enables H.264 decoding to be off-loaded to the graphics adapter. That began with the 8xxx series. I had a machine into which I installed an adapter with a 9500GT, chose "vdpau" from the list in SMPlayer, and everything went swimmingly. Have you tried watching an H.264-encoded 720p or higher resolution video with your setup and lubuntu? I'd be curious to hear the results.

Test clips here.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    GeForce 6150s do not support VDPAU which enables H.264 decoding to be off-loaded to the graphics adapter. That began with the 8xxx series. I had a machine into which I installed an adapter with a 9500GT, chose "vdpau" from the list in SMPlayer, and everything went swimmingly. Have you tried watching an H.264-encoded 720p or higher resolution video with your setup and lubuntu? I'd be curious to hear the results.

Test clips here.
    I was also using 9500GT with vdpau but it went bad after 3yrs. Almost all my video files are 1080p leaving some 720p. They are either h.264 or xvid. Surprisingly I dont feel any difference. I guess my cpu is powerful enough to play upto 1080p.

I am not sure what will happen with ultra HD vids but I am atm not bothered coz my monitor's max is 1080p.
    Lubuntu 14.04 / Manjaro (openbox)
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't even like.

Beans

Just upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 went very smooth and looks like its running faster than 13.10 on my old trusty Dell Vostro 1500

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast