Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

Only problem I experienced was that "DropBox" would not install properly on 14.04 but after todays update which included an update for DropBox, this now too works fine. Guess this is all hardware related. Both 13.10 and 14.04 works great on my Thinkpad X230 The only complaint I have is that some of the "F" buttons dont work on my hardware like changing the screen brightness (this was also true for 13.10), but I can use the GUI to do this. Also 14.04 boots slower than 13.10 (15 seconds vs 10 seconds). I am 99% happy with 14.04.

Beans

I have installed 14.04 on a pertty decent number of computers, all with completely different hardware and it has worked perfectly on every one of them. I have one desktop that always has issues no matter what distro I install on it but even this problematic machine runs well with 14,04. For the countess number of hardware combinations ou there 14.04 is actually the best Ubuntu release I have ever seen.

No software is perfect though and no one could ever account for every possible hardware configuration. All in all I see very few complaints about the LTS and bug fixes will continue to be released. Also, there are far more people using 14.04 than there were when it was in development so more bugs are being discovered and fixed.

Many of us feel that quality has greatly improved over the last couple of years and bugs are being worked on and fixed prety quickly. The point releases are also helpful in keeping up with new hardware that appears after the initial release. I would in no way consider 14.04 comparable with Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    I have upgraded twice yearly since 8.04 and each time I must say Ubuntu has improved. However, with 13.10 I noticed my usb mouse would not become active until 30-35 secs after the desktop loaded. I did not worry as this was not a LTR release and all would be fixed in 14.04. I know we should wait a few months but for the first time in a number of years I have gone backwards - i.e. back to 12.04. The system booted with a blank screen until finally the ubuntu screen came up just before the desktop, it took longer to boot than anyother release and my usb mouse takes longer to become active. My usb sticks were not recognised - sometimes for ever and sometimes after some period of time. In my experience this is the worse LTR release there has been - surely usb devices should be recognised, who uses wired devices these days? Back to 12.04 where everything flies!
    what sort of computer do you use? Also I would take issue with the title of this thread - I am not a huge fan of MS, but Vista on good hardware ran fine.
    Last edited by RichardET; April 24th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.

Beans

Thanks, I will wait 3 months. Not that 14.04 is bad, but there are glitches (I install it on an external hard drive for testing) 13.10 is working perfectly, I don't need to trade in a solid and smooth system for a beta(yes, it is still a beta, there has been hardly any update since release) and then get some nasty surprises. This is the way of all newly released OSes, you jump on the early upgrade bandwagon and get burnt it is nobody's fault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not a MS fan, but I still use it for some aspects of my computing life (iPhone / iTunes, Photo Shop, & tax prep software to name 3). Since I retired I find that I have more time to explore different aspects of computer technology.

I've been using personal computers since MS DOS 3 and upgraded hardware and OS every few years. I managed to skip Vista and now am running Win 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 with gnome flaskback metacity de.

IMO when Ubuntu / Canonical has a release history stretching as long as MS there are bound to be a few glitches and I don't believe that Trusty is one of those glitches.
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 25th, 2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling of 'MS'. Respect for other OS companies please!
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Only problem I've experienced with Trusty so far...? That it's not on my work computer as well... (It will be next week. Muwahahahahaha)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried any of the other DEs in 14.04 to pinpoint the cause of these issues? If it's also bad in, for example, KDE, XFCE and Gnome then you know it's either Ubuntu or the kernel. You can then try anothe distro with the same kernel version as Ubuntu to see if the problem persists.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The easiest solution to this is to refrain from installing the newest version of the OS for about a month; a lot of nagging issues get cleared up in that time and the early-adopter crowd has a chance to get a new set of guides into circulation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have, for the first time, re partitioned my machine to have a separate ./home partition so I might try a fresh install of 14.04 again. On a separate question does primary and logical partitions matter to Linux? If I have one primary partition for winXP and then another single logical partition split into 5 other partitons, three of which will be ./, ./home and swap will this be ok? Or should I have one primary for winxp, one logical split into four, and another primary (small) at the end that once it is all set up I can reformat and the swap area?
    Somebody commented on my hardware, it is:
    dad@dadubuntu:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev b5)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 PCI bridge: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. Device 8892 (rev 10)
    03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller (rev c0)
    04:00.0 USB controller: Etron Technology, Inc. EJ168 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 01)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)

Beans
    Hidden!

Windows XP wants a primary partition to boot from. Linux can manage primary and logical partitions without problems. So you can make an extended partition of the rest of the drive, and have several logical partitions inside the extended partition. Windows and linux can share a logical partition as a data partition with the NTFS file system.

But remember that XP has passed end of life, so there are no more security updates.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast