Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

I have upgraded twice yearly since 8.04 and each time I must say Ubuntu has improved. However, with 13.10 I noticed my usb mouse would not become active until 30-35 secs after the desktop loaded. I did not worry as this was not a LTR release and all would be fixed in 14.04. I know we should wait a few months but for the first time in a number of years I have gone backwards - i.e. back to 12.04. The system booted with a blank screen until finally the ubuntu screen came up just before the desktop, it took longer to boot than anyother release and my usb mouse takes longer to become active. My usb sticks were not recognised - sometimes for ever and sometimes after some period of time. In my experience this is the worse LTR release there has been - surely usb devices should be recognised, who uses wired devices these days? Back to 12.04 where everything flies!

Re: Will 14.04 become the 'MSVista' of Ubuntu?

There has never been a release that works flawlessly for everyone.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Every release since I've been active on the forums has been the "worst release ever" or "the Vista of Ubuntu".

It may well be true for some people, but it's not the case for everyone.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Every release since I've been active on the forums has been the "worst release ever" or "the Vista of Ubuntu".

+1
    This is always going to be the position for any operating system newly released, no matter by whom.

There are just too many different combinations of hardware for any OS to work totally without bugs on all machines; in fact I'm amazed that all the Linux OSs I have tried on my great variety of hardware over the last 8 or 9 years has generally worked as well as it has, and all for no cost to me.

For my part, with the exception of an old Acer celeron 2.66GHz laptop with Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP graphics, which refuses to boot with the 3.13 or 3.14 kernel, 14.04 has been as smooth as could be; even while in alpha and beta it was generally a brilliant version, and so it remains, as far as I am concerned in all its DE versions.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I agree and have found that on family and friends machines that I look after there is always something(s) to address. However, my set up has not really changed over the past few years and I would have expected that new versions would have at least been the same as the previous (in terms of supporting the hardware) but with a few more enhancements. My pcis very different with 14.04 on it compared to 12... 11..., 10.... etc. I except Unity was a big change (but not to hardware) but why is it that suddenly all my usb devices (keyboard, mouse, garmin, sticks) are not liked by 14.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I once installed Ubuntu and found that USB mice wouldn't work. In the end it seemed to be a faulty installation. I reinstalled and all was fine. Try that.

There is a significant absence of complaints about 14.04 compared to all previous versions. I think 14.04 will go down as one of the most well-loved Ubuntu releases, especially as 16.04 will have some major changes under the hood that might make things a bit more unstable or require old users to learn things again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

well for 14.04 so far i only have compliants about hardware not working as it did before. otherwise it is stable, fast and fine.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had so many probs with quantal that I bypassed it as soon as raring hit the repos... loved raring so much I charged into saucy with gay abandon and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I thought trusty would be the nutz, and it was until the last week prior to release and then for me it turned to a can of worms. Does that make it Ubuntu's Vista? Not even close. Vista was still Vista 4 years later, but trusty will be smoking on my machine in a month or too, and you can take that to the bank.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post

LOL It's like clockwork, isn't it?

Next come the threads about how six months is too short for the release cycle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

14.04 for me was uneventful to install and, so far, has been uneventful in daily use.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast