Thread: Nvidia GT 740m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nvidia GT 740m

Before I go and bork my computer again, the a nvidia gt 740m CAN run on Ubuntu 12.04LTS right?

I hear you need bumblebee and a certain nvidia driver, but last time I did it, upon restart I got some error where I had to run Ubuntu in low graphics mode and it actually wouldn't even go past that screen so I had to reinstall the OS.

Does anyone know exactly how to do this? Sorry I did search, I just really don't want to break my OS again and redo everything, so I'm looking for a more experienced user's assistance.

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Nvidia GT 740m

I don't know about 12.04, but 14.04 does support the Nvidia GT 740M which I happen to own as well. It installed the proprietary Nvidia drivers and I have not had a problem since. Performance is great. Perhaps use 14.04 instead? It's been a great experience so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the reply, wieman01.

I used 14.04 a few days ago. Unfortunately, 14.04 doesn't like to play with my wireless card I might try again though. Or at least just boot into it through USB and see if anything is different (for whatever reason).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not a problem. The wireless issue may be easier to fix than your problem with Nvidia. If you like I'll try to guide you through it in the next couple of days. If the card does not work out of the box, "ndiswrapper" is an option for you. I used it in the past and it worked fine a couple of years ago.