Thread: Customisable GUI framework

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Customisable GUI framework

I am trying (single handedly) to develop a game for Ubuntu, and it would be great if I could theme my game so it looks distinctive. I am using python as my primary language, so I need a GUI tool kit with a good python Library. I would rather not have to use another langauge for my GUI.

Specifically I would like to be able to retain all the nice GUI features, my current GUI design is in GTK and utilises all the well known widgets : windows, packing boxes, frames, notebooks, buttons, menus, sliders, scales, radio/check buttons, labels and drawable areas (and a few others that escape me) - but I don't have the deep control over how they appear and interact with the user.

I have tried to provide some application specific themes with the GTK gui, but i don't have the level of control I desire (for instance - I can't change the shape of the slider button, or change it's colour with affecting other parts of the slider control, and similarly I can't change the shape/colour of the scroll bars). The only way (so far) I have found to generate non-rectangular buttons is to use an Image and an EventBox and implement my own ImageMap capability - and that becomes impractical (or even impossible) when the GUI goes beyond a few simple click buttons.

Given the challenages I have had so far I am guessing that GTK is not the way to go, but is there a tool kit which meets my needs and is easy to use, or is there a simple(ish) way to do deep customisation of GTK like I have mentioned : I don't want to have to write my own Theme Engine.

As a plus I would like to be change some parts of the theme on the fly (i.e. as the game is running), depending on the actions of the player within the game.
    Last edited by Tony Flury; April 24th, 2014 at 05:35 AM.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups