Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a FWIW

Beans

Just a FWIW

I have always liked the EEEPC's . MY first was in about 2007. i got it cheap because it had the japaneese version of windows on it.

I have 4 1005's now that i am rebuilding. There is one lock clip on them that is very fragile. it is the one on the keyboard cable. It is also the only one that is not a flip up lock.

I have been trying to find someplace to get them but to no avail.

One call to Asus I was told you arent supposed to work on them. If some thing goes wrong just throw them away. 3 other calls to various departments got the equivelant of telephonic blank stares and the suggestion that i call their retailers, like walmart.

I contacted tigerdirect and best buy nada.

so if you have to get under the keyboard on one of these beware.

as an aside i believe asus makes the board for the hp mini 110. on that board that lock clip is a flip up.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Just a FWIW

I have an eeePC 900 which runs Xubuntu nicely. The only problem is that the original battery pack was no good and the "heavy duty" replacement is bit bulky.
    I'm going to give it to a friend who's house is solar powered and only has a 12 volt supply.
    I also just bought a mint condition Toshiba NB100 for £30. It looks much nicer than the Asus. The only downside is the keyboard, dark grey lettering on black keys
    I am going to swap the HDD for a 32 or 64GB SSD and then it will fly

Beans

Im running mint 13 on mine . the only issue i have is this little clip. I just got an email from Asus the persons name is Pig. I was told they do not provide that part to end users but i can send it in to then . Waiting for a reply as to the cost.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yuck. Yeah, I had to service an Acer Aspire 10.1" at one point, and I never could get the keyboard clip to work properly again there, either.

I have to say that I can't deal with 1024 x 600 screens anymore, just too spoiled when my 7" tablet has more than that and so many sites and applications lose functionality that way, but I've always loved the netbook concept, too, even before it was widespread. Moving up to a U-book had its perks, though.

I still have my Eee S101, still running and everything. I honestly can't find much use for it, but I don't want to donate it or anything, either.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Got a pic of the connector?

Beans

i can take one later today and upload it.

just another aside when i talked to tigerdirect their agents first question was "how much are you willing to pay for this part?"

In service to the Dream

Beans

here it is. the background is a standard college ruled 3x5 card. http://imgbox.com/qDjHfbu6 http://imgbox.com/KcEn5dyx

In service to the Dream

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    here it is. the background is a standard college ruled 3x5 card. http://imgbox.com/qDjHfbu6 http://imgbox.com/KcEn5dyx
    Those can be finicky. You should be able to source them though.

Beans

the latest reply from ASUS was we do not supply that part to end users. As your item is no longer covered by warrenty the cost would be between 30.00 and 50.00 but
    it would have to be sent in for diagnosis for an accurate estimate.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I still have and occasionally use my eee-pc 701. Upped the RAM to 2GB and slapped in a 32GB SD card for /home/ storag. It's running #! Linux like a speed daemon and it's been completely reliable so far which means I haven't had the pleasure of ASUS customer service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast