Thread: Linux-friendly USB headphones and microphone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Linux-friendly USB headphones and microphone

I'm using a small form factor computer that does not have standard 1.5 inch jacks... And frankly I didn't even though about this when I was buying it, I was so much fascinated by the idea of having this little stylish box...
    Anyway... I guess the only way of having a MIC and headphones is to use a USB variant. I know there's plenty of them but the question of compatibility pops up in my mind. Do you guys know brands which are more or less Linux-friendly?
    At work I use Plantronics headphones for my desk phone - they're great by the way, and they also have USB versions.
    Any suggestion and use experience would be greatly appreciated...
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Linux-friendly USB headphones and microphone

USB audio is a standard, so any should work fine. I have used Plantronics and logitech.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Back in 2009 when I was still using Windows XP I bought the USB Logitech Headset H390 to communicate with skype though I didn't use it a lot.. A few weeks ago, after installing Lubuntu on the same desktop computer, I was amazed that this USB headset worked out of the box so that I was able to use it flawlessly with Google Talk and Audacity even though the system requirements on the logitech website doesn't mention Linux at all, only Windows and Mac.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produc...o-headset-h390

So I guess Logitech headsets (as well as keyboards and mouses which I currently use) does work basically with Linux and are a safe bets, though you won't be able to install softwares that may come with their products.
    Last edited by Tar_Ni; April 23rd, 2014 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've just ordered one. I shall receive it in the next couple of days. I'm interested to see whether it will work out of the box.
    it's strange that once you mentioned it... I'm also using a Logitech wireless mouse and a keyboard at this very moment, without even thinking about it This is how it should be in the computing world, use all additional devices without even noticing what the Vendor or the model is... sadly, it's not always like that.

Edit: well it turned out I've actually ordered Logitech H340, a simpler model. We'll see how it will turn out...
    Last edited by lz1dsb; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've just got my Logitech H390. It turned out that H340 wasn't available at the retailer, so i've opted for the more advanced model.
    H390 works out of the box I've just tested it. That's nice... Thread closed.

Beans

Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse here, too. I didn't have to install a thing. It just worked out of the box. Ubuntu detected them right away and it was off to the races. It's the way it should be.