Thread: Your feelings on Ambiance theme?

Beans

Your feelings on Ambiance theme?

Just curious on other's opinions. I personally find the ambiance theme to be old and outdated. I usually install Numix themes instead. What about you guys? Do you find ambiance old/boring, and if so what other theme do you usually use?

Just curious what other's think.
    Desktop: A88X-Plus AMD Quad-Core, Nvidia GTX 460 2GB, 1.7TB of Storage, 16GB Ram - Deepin 2014.2
    Laptop: i5, Nvidia 330M Optimus, 640GB HDD, 8GB Ram 2010 Model - Deepin 2014.2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Your feelings on Ambiance theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan_Cameron View Post
    Just curious on other's opinions. I personally find the ambiance theme to be old and outdated. I usually install Numix themes instead. What about you guys? Do you find ambiance old/boring, and if so what other theme do you usually use?

Just curious what other's think.
    I find any black theme dull and boring.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Your feelings on Ambiance theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    I find any black theme dull and boring.
    First thing I do is to change ambiance to radiance.
    "Our duty is to encourage every one in his struggle to live up to his own highest idea, and strive at the same time to make the ideal as near as possible to the Truth." -- Swami Vivekanand

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It has the advantage of being consistent everywhere... contrary to a lot of the others. I like the Zoncolor theme packs, especially with Xfce, but opening Thunderbird makes me reconsider every time, it looks horrible with a lot of them. And i'm not sure if I want to spend a night working out the minutiae of how theme packs work
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Hidden!

The Ubuntu theming is part of what makes it so easily identifiable in the wild.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The initial display on first boot after an install could do with some new clothes. It's looking a bit long in the tooth.

I'm partial to blue, grey and white, so a third variation, in addition to Radiance, using those colors would please me.

If you position the top of an Ambiance window directly against the panel, it is very difficult to distinguish panel from window top.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think Ambiance looks good with the default purple terminal, and very little else.
    It is nice to change it to radiance, and the fact that radiance is included in the available selections from the theme selector in system settings>appearance, means I don't have to install a tweak tool to do it.
    I install tweak tools for other things.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm using a modified version of something out of the Mediterranean set - it's very similar to Elementary, which is of course quite Macish, though with its own little flourishes. I understand why Ubuntu went the direction it did, and the theme is definitely a part of the project's visual identity. I can't really stand using it myself. It's dark, heavy, and a little garish, the buttons feel too much like the inflatable-looking ones of Windows XP, and titlebars don't blend with toolbars or background frames in some apps (generally GTK2 ones.) That's true even in Radiance, which is at least lighter, but still has the contrast of the champagne against the silver, which is almost a bit clashy. I also don't like the buttons and controls, which feel overworked or something.

I'm periodically tempted to recolor my theme, but there's something very attractive and yet transparent about neutral light grays. I do have to give Ambience some credit for not using the ever-popular true blue for a select color, though. (I use eggplant, myself.)
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I enjoyed Ambiance when it was introduced (10.04) and still use radiance occasionally.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

both are very nice.

i also like default opensuse kde theme. beautiful. i just don't understand why they always have some unnecessary bugs in their live cd.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla