Thread: Broadcom BCM4311

Beans

Broadcom BCM4311

I am so glad to see this thread so active. I have just started trying to get my wife's old laptop working for may daughter but it has windows vista on it and it is way to slow to be useful. So I thought I would xubuntu live on a sdcard to see how it worked with linux.
    I seem to have run into the same problem. I am usiing

xubuntu 14.04 on a live usb sdcard reader.

After it boots and I go in to try xubuntu it does not detect the wifi. I went to additional drivers and it said there are two devices requriring drivers. One is the Broadcom Corporation: BCM4311 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller.
    The options are
    * Using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source(proprietary)
    * Do not use this device

The other is Unknown: Unknown
    The options are
    <grayed out/disabled>* Using Non-free firmware for Linux kernel drivers from linux-firmware-nonfree(proprietary)</grayed out/disabled>
    * Continue using a manually installed driver
    * Do not use the device

So I chose to use the Broadcom proprietary driver and applied and it took what seemed like forever but it eventually said it was done. but the light on the button to disable/enable wireless stays orange and I can not get it to change by pressing it. The interesting part is that I still have windows installed on this machine and wireless works on it so it is not a hardware problem.

Is it possible that there is a driver for the other device that will allow turning on and off the wireless button? Can you help me understand what controls the hardware wireless button?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Broadcom BCM4311

Moved to a new thread. You have a different network card.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom BCM4311

Broadcom Corporation: BCM4311 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller.
    Please see the sticky: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.