Thread: signon-ui continually asking for username/password after upgrade to 14.04

Beans

Unhappy signon-ui continually asking for username/password after upgrade to 14.04

This is the exact problem, posted by someone else on askubuntu.com -

http://askubuntu.com/questions/45124...log-on-desktop

Anyone found a solution yet? The prompt won't go away. I have no idea what it is asking me for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: signon-ui continually asking for username/password after upgrade to 14.04

Just as a trial, see if you can use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a command line, login at that with username and password, then rename the hidden .Xauthority file in your home as .Xauthority-backup and see if you can then login to the GUI when a new .Xauthority file should be generated.

Have you mistakenly used sudo for any GUI applications instead of the required gksudo? That can sometimes mean that ownership of some files in your home is changed to root, causing the problem you see here. What is the current output of
    Code:
    ls -al .Xauthority
    from the command line, if you can get to it.
    It should look something like
    Code:
    -rw------- 1 user user 157 Apr 22 09:27 .Xauthority
    If it says root root where it should say user user, that will be the reason

Beans

The current output of ls -al .Xauthority is as above with my user user, not root root.
    Now I will try to generate a new .Xauthority file.

Beans

Generated a new .Xauthority
    The username, password box still pops up after logging back into gui.

Beans

This problem disappeared by itself for 2 days. It came back again this morning.
    I never touched anything or changed anything.

EDIT: Ok I worked out that it only went away, because during those 2 days I had no internet connection.
    Problem came back as soon as I had working internet connection again.
    Last edited by dalekky; April 25th, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Beans

get rid of it following this procedure In order to remove the Unlock Login Keyring dialog set the password for the keyring to an empty password. This prevents being prompted for a password.

1. Open Applications --> Accessories -->Password and Encryption Keys
    2. Right-click on the "login" keyring
    3. Select "Change Password"
    4. Enter your old password and leave the new password blank
    5. Press ok, read the security warning, think about it and if you still want to get rid of the Unlock Login Keyring dialog, choose "use unsafe storage"

As the message states: This will expose all passwords saved in the keyring (e.g. email passwords) to anyone using your computer or having access to your files and is not recommended.

Beans

I found a different solution to my issue.

In my case, it was a Yahoo account in Online Accounts which was the culprit.

Symptoms of a faulty Yahoo account in Online Accounts manifest as the following:
    When you go to System Settings > Online Accounts, click on your Yahoo Account in left column, then click on "Edit Options", there will be NO information displayed - window will be blank instead of the expected username & password fields.

To fix a faulty Yahoo account in Online Accounts you need to delete the account and re-add it:
    Go to System Settings > Online Accounts, click your Yahoo Account in left column, click "Remove Account", then click "+ Add account..."
    The username & password fields will display as expected and you can fill out your account info.
    Congratulations, the "Enter your credentials" popup is now gone when you reboot.
    Last edited by dalekky; April 28th, 2014 at 04:13 AM. Reason: grammar police