Thread: Unable to upgrade due to problems in last upgrade

Beans

Unable to upgrade due to problems in last upgrade

Hi to all

I'm trying to upgrad from 13.10 to 14.10. I had to interrupt and resume the previous upgrade (from 13.04 to 13.10) and since then I have a couple of error messages when I boot, but I haven't had other problems until now.

When I run update-manager from terminal I get this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 108, in <module>
    print(_("Checking for a new Ubuntu release"))
    UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character '\xe0' in position 5: ordinal not in range(128)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unable to upgrade due to problems in last upgrade

Welcome to the forums!
    Ubuntu release numbers are named based on the month, so there wasn't an Oct 2014 release (14.10) .... we have to wait until ... October for that. However, 14.04 was released last week. Ok, probably just a typo, no problem.

So, if do-release-upgrade isn't working, and the 13.10 install is 100%, fully updated and patched, then it is time to backup your data, settings and list of installed packages, perform a fresh installation of 14.04, then restore your settings, data, and list of packages into the freshly installed machine. No ideal, but most things will work just fine without any more effort.

If you want to try to fix the 13.10 install problem, please post the relevant output from:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
    Use "code" tags please and do NOT post 50 lines of non-error output. If that works cleanly (no warnings, no errors), then try
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    and post the _relevant_ output from that command. DO NOT RUN THIS UNTIL the update/dist-upgrade work flawlessly!

Beans

Thanks, it worked!

Yes, it was clearly a typo it was my first message in the forums because I've always solved other problems with previous posts, anyway I'm not a complete newbie on Linux.

So aptitude detected two packages that were mutually blocking their update (gnuplot-nox and gnuplot-x11). Once solved I was still not able to update via update-manager but do-release-upgrade worked fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You will continue to have issues with updates until that package collision issue is resolved 100%. Fix it now.

Beans

Ok but... how can I try to fix it? Should I start a new thread?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should post the relevant output from the problem commands (update/upgrade) as requested above.

Beans

not sure if this is the relevant code you were asking for

Code:
    E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_main_i18n_Translation-ca%40valencia